Avocado has literally become one of my best friends during Whole30. It’s creamy, filling, and goes with just about everything. This was my first time having avocado alongside salmon, and if it’s your first time too—well, you’re in for a treat! It’s also another one of my 30 minutes or less recipes and it’s been a huge hit in my house.
The creaminess of the avocado pairs perfectly with the crispy pan-seared salmon. You don’t have to be committed to the Whole30 diet to love this one!
This technique produces fast, excellent results with minimal work. Perfect pan-seared salmon will be moist and tender on the inside and crisp on the outside. The key is to cook the salmon skin side down until it is about 80% done, that way the delicate flesh is protected from the direct heat of the pan—this also prevents the salmon filets from falling apart and sticking to the pan.
- Use a lid to keep the oil from flying out of the pan.
- A well oiled cast iron pan will yield the best results.
- Cook salmon filets skin side down until they are about 80% done.
- Use tongs to maneuver the salmon filets, lifting each one a few times to keep from sticking.
For extra flavor, try drizzling DIVINO Lime Infused Olive Oil over each salmon filet after cooking. ‘JZEATS’ will save you 40% on your first order!
If you’re thinking about trying Whole30, my advice to you is to focus on all the delicious foods you CAN eat, like this delicious Pan Seared Salmon recipe, not the foods you can’t eat. You can read more about my Whole30 experience here.
Whole30 Recipes: Pan Seared Salmon With Avocado Salsa
- 2 salmon filets
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, cubed (pretty much any tomato will work)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- DIVINO Lime Infused Olive Oil – optional
- Prepare ingredients: Allow salmon filets to rest on the counter for 10 minutes. While they are resting, cube the tomato and avocado, chop cilantro/parsley, and dice the red onion. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: In a small saucepan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth, lemon juice, and zest. Simmer for 3 minutes and allow sauce to thicken. Set aside.
- Make avocado salsa: While sauce is cooking, in a medium sized mixing bowl combine 1.5 tbsp of olive oil, avocado, tomato, red onion, cilantro/parsley, lime juice, and zest. Mix and set aside.
- Cook salmon: Dab salmon dry with a paper towel, season with salt & pepper to taste and heat a non-stick pan (preferably a cast iron) with 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat. Sear salmon skin side down for 4-5 minutes, then flip and sear 2-3 minutes.
To Serve: Place salmon filets on plate and generously cover with each filet with lemon garlic sauce, then top with avocado salsa. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley if desired. Optional – drizzle DIVINO Lime Infused Olive Oil over salmon for extra flavor.