I’m about to take your favorite Chicken Parmesan recipe to a whole new level. If you love Chicken Parmesan, you are going to love these Chicken Parmesan Burgers. That’s right, I said Chicken Parmesan Burgers.
They are the perfect twist on a classic Chicken Parm and a burger. I don’t eat a lot of red meat but I do really like burgers, so I jump at any chance I get to eat a chicken burger.
Ground chicken tends to be fairly inexpensive and half the ingredients on this recipe list are common household items, so this is one easy and inexpensive meal to make.
Cooking these chicken burgers in the pan with marinara sauce makes them so incredibly juicy. Even though you will spoon about a table of marinara sauce onto the buns, I like to reserve even more for dipping! Basil marinara sauce is my favorite because it adds a little extra flavor to this dish.
Since I’m really not a big red meat kind of girl I typically opt for chicken when cooking a non-seafood or vegetarian dinner. Sometimes it can be tough to mix things up, but I do have a few good chicken recipes up my sleeve!
Are chicken burgers healthy?
These Chicken Parmesan Burgers are a lean source of protein. Aside from the bun, there is nothing in this recipe that I would label “unhealthy”. Burgers are typically labeled unhealthy and high in fat and calories because of the beef. Beef burgers can be high in dietary cholesterol and saturated fat. If you want to treat yourself to a juicy beef burger, you do you, if you want to stay on the healthier side today, try these Chicken Parmesan Burgers!
Sunday Meal Prep
I’m always looking for new meal prep recipe ideas. These Chicken Parmesan Burgers are a quick weeknight dinner and the recipe can easily be doubled to for Sunday meal prep. Instead of using burger buns, I placed the chicken patties over rice and topped them with fresh basil.
- This recipe uses fresh herbs, but you can substitute them for dry herbs.
- Substitute butter for 3 tbsp of DIVINO Butter infused olive oil as a healthier alternative (‘JZEATS’ will save you 40%).
- Save some fresh chopped basil to garnish your burgers if you like extra basil flavor.
- To keep the butter from burning, it is best to remove it from the heat when there are a few small pieces left and stir until it’s completely melted.
Get out of your typical burger rut and sink your teeth into a juicy, cheesy Chicken Parmesan Burger on a garlicky roll. You’ll have these Chicken Parmesan Burgers from stovetop to tabletop in 30 minutes!
Chicken Parmesan Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 stick softened butter
- 4 burger buns
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut butter into small pieces, and melt in a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave for 20 seconds or until completely melted. See recipe notes for tips on how to keep the butter from burning.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter and minced garlic. Lay each burger bun flat on a foiled baking sheet, inside facing up. Using a silicone brush, coat the inside of each burger bun. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until buns are toasted to your liking.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, basil, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.
- Form chicken mixture into 4 equal sized patties, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Add Italian bread crumbs to a small bowl and fully coat each patty.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Cook the chicken patties for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip patties when the bottom has turned golden brown and add marinara sauce to the pan. Top each chicken patty with mozzarella cheese and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer chicken patties covered for 4-5 minutes or until cheese has melted and chicken patties are fully cooked.
To serve: spread marinara sauce from pan on the bottom half of each bun, then layer with 2 fresh basil leaves, and chicken patties.