Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
An easy vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe with spinach and ricotta. This low carb version of my favorite spinach and ricotta stuffed shells recipe also makes a great meal prep recipe!
Servings: 8 stuffed peppers
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 25 ounces ricotta cheese, drained*
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 lemon, zest
- parmesan cheese, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Add cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper to a 9 x 11 inch oven safe baking dish. Toss them in the pan to combine. Place peppers in the pan and bake for 10 minutes.*
While the tomatoes and peppers are cooking, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté spinach, garlic, and onions until spinach has wilted. Drain the spinach well (I like to use a fine mesh strainer) and set aside in a mixing bowl.
Add ricotta, red pepper flakes, egg, basil, and lemon zest to the mixing bowl with the spinach and mix until fully combined.
Remove the peppers from the oven and stuff with the spinach and ricotta mixture. Top each pepper with about half a tablespoon of shredded parmesan cheese.
Place the stuffed peppers in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, just until the cheese on top has melted and the peppers are warm all the way through. Don't bake them too long or they will become watery inside!
Helpful Items For This Recipe:
- To drain the ricotta, line a fine mesh sieve with cheesecloth and push out any excess liquid.*
- If you want more of a charred look and taste, broil the tomatoes and peppers for about 3-4 minutes before stuffing them instead of baking for 10 minutes.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 95mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2665IU | Vitamin C: 8.5mg | Calcium: 391mg | Iron: 1.6mg