While this post is sponsored by Filippo Berio all opinions stated are my own.
It’s wine festival season and last weekend I joined Filippo Berio at the Frederick Wine Festival as part of their Pestonality tour. (Scroll down for the Pesto Grilled Cheese recipe).
I grew up in Maryland, but have never explored downtown Frederick. All the wine festivals I have attended were held in a wide open field. This one was different, it was held in the middle of downtown Frederick! Attendees are able to walk around the wine festival while going in and out of local shops. The scenery is just beautiful, and it was a gorgeous day for a wine festival.
I took the Filippo Berio Pestonality quiz at the wine festival to determine which pesto best matched my personality. Can you guess which one I got?
I was paired with the Tomato and Ricotta pesto, and I can’t say I’m surprised I love anything with cheese!
Upcoming Filippo Berio Pestonality Tours
If you’re in the area and want to try some of Filippo Berio’s amazing pestos, check out their upcoming events!
- June 21st â€“ 22nd -Â Crave RI (Providence, RI)
- July 28th -Â Rose and Bubbly (Riverhead, NY)
- August 12th -Â Vermont Cheesemakers Festival (Shelbourne Farms, VT)
- August 26th -Â Hampton Classic (Bridgehampton, NY)
- September 8th â€“ 9th -Â Hudson Valley Food/Wine Festival (Hudson Valley, NY)
- September 22nd -Â Greenwich Food + Wine Festival (Greenwich, CT)
- October 7th â€“ 8th -Â Taste of D.C. (Washington D.C.)
- October 21st -Â Harvest on the Harbor (Portland, ME)
I often cook with pesto, and I love how much flavor it adds to a dish. A few weeks ago, I made Burrata Pesto Pizzas. Try them out and see just how much pesto can enhance the flavor of something so simple like pizza!
If you think those Burrata Pesto Pizzas look good, wait until you try this Pesto Grilled Cheese.
Grilled cheese is a comfort food staple and I crave them year-round. Adding a simple ingredient with bold flavor, like Filippo Berio’s Classic Pesto is the perfect way to spice up a simple dish. I also stuffed these with fresh avocado, which added an extra level of creaminess to the grilled cheese.
The best part? You can make this Pesto Grilled Cheese with ANY of Filippo Berio’s pestos and it will taste amazing!
Pesto Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Classic Pesto
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Heat a medium sized non-stick pan with 1 tbsp butter and olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Spread the pesto on the inside of each slice. Spread avocado over the pesto and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully place the sandwiches on the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown, repeat on the other side.