It’s tempting to reach for the comfort food, I know. Salads aren’t always the most filling and satisfying, but this Toasted Farro Salad with Blackened Chicken is about to change your view on salads. It’s quick and easy to make and unlike most salads, it tastes great the next day (hellooo leftovers). Add this farro salad to your kitchen recipe cards because you’ll be making it every time you’re craving something quick and healthy!
Spinach is delicious raw or cooked making this an easy salad that you can heat up and turn into something more! The acidity from the strawberries cuts through the blacken seasoning perfectly, giving this dish a well-rounded flavor.
While I made this one with chicken, you can use other proteins like blackened shrimp or steak.
What is farro?
Farro is a wheat grain that’s been around for thousands of years and has many health benefits. I use it in recipes when I’m craving healthy but want substance like carbs, but without all the carbs. Farro is filling, delicious, and good for you!
6 Health Benefits of Farro
- High in fiber
- Improves immunity and heart health
- Good source of protein
- High in B vitamins
- Great source of antioxidants
- Provides Iron, Magnesium, and Zinc
This farro salad can be made year round, mix and match the fruit and protein depending on the season or your personal preference. In the cooler months, I make this Toasted Farro Salad with blackened shrimp and pomegranate seeds.
Toasted Farro Salad With Blackened Chicken
- 2 medium sized chicken breasts
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup honey roasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup blacken seasoning
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- Prepare farro according to package directions.
- Mix 1 tbsp of olive oil, vinegar, honey, thyme, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Add strawberries, toss, and set aside.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush chicken with olive oil on both sides, and generously dust blacken seasoning over each side. Place chicken in pan and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Slice and set aside.
- In the same pan used for the chicken, reduce the heat to medium, add butter, .5 tbsp of olive oil, fresh thyme, salt and pepper, and cooked farro. Toast for 5-8 minutes, tossing frequently.
- To plate: place spinach, pecans, red onion, feta cheese, farro, and blackened chicken on a plate and toss with strawberry vinegar dressing.