If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen me raving about these Slow Cooker Chili Lime Pulled Chicken Bowls all week.
As you may know, I’m all about meal prep that doesn’t suck. Working in an office where the closest “restaurant” is an underwhelming Subway has forced me into meal prepping every week — and I don’t hate it!
I started getting into meal prepping shortly before starting a new job in the middle of nowhere solely because it was a healthier and more cost effective alternative to going out for lunch every day.
Many people think of meal prepping as counting calories or tasteless food. I like to think of meal prepping as a healthier alternative that still tastes great — because everyone’s definition of healthy is different.
When deciding what to make for the week, I strive to hit five marks — protein, vegetables, carbs, tasty and pretty. You may laugh at the fact that I want my food to look pretty but there is plenty of literature out there about how we eat with our eyes first!
This dish is packed with color AND flavor.
This dish features one of my favorite colorful vegetables, watermelon radish. These radishes have a beautiful pink and green color, just like a watermelon! They add a crunchy texture and can work well with almost anything, like this Avocado Burrata Toast.
For protein, I opted for Chili Lime Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken, and seared it on a cast iron skillet first to lock in all the flavor. This chicken is bursting with flavor, you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
This recipe calls for brown jasmine rice and veggie pasta because I like to have a variation throughout the week so I don’t feel like I’m eating the exact same thing every single day. However, you can choose one or the other — or a completely different carb altogether! I love this veggie pasta though because you get a full serving of vegetables per 3.5 oz serving — winning!
Despite what the time stamp on the recipe below says, these Slow Cooker Chili Lime Pulled Chicken Bowls are quick to make. The total prep time for this recipe is about 15 minutes. To make things easier, I cooked the chicken the night before and stored it in the refrigerator.
Easy blackened shrimp recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 box veggie pasta
- 1/2 cup brown jasmine rice
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 orange peppers
- 2 watermelon radishes (sliced into .5” strips)
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup cilantro (4 tbs reserved)
- 1/4 cup chili lime seasoning
- Place chicken in a large bowl and toss with chili lime seasoning, making sure chicken is completely covered. If you can see chicken, add more seasoning!
- Heat a 10” cast iron skillet on medium-high heat and sear chicken for 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer to slow cooker and add chicken broth. Squeeze the juice of 1.5 limes and place limes in slow cooker. Cook for 5 hours on low.
- When chicken is ready, remove from slow cooker and shred with a fork. For extra flavor, toss chicken back in the slow cooker with juices, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook rice according to package, remove from stove and toss with 1 tbs olive oil and 2 tbs cilantro. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package, remove from stove and toss with 1 tbs olive oil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400
- Prep vegetables by cutting the bottom of the stems off the asparagus and broccoli.
- Brush olive oil over vegetables using a silicone basting brush, and add salt & pepper to taste. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Layer each container with rice or pasta, vegetables, chicken, watermelon radish, and remaining cilantro. Squeeze remaining lime over each bowl.
Check out more of my recipes here.
- I made the chicken the night before and brushed the juices over the vegetables for added flavor before placing them in the oven.
- As always, I packed these up in BPA free, microwave and oven safe glass containers.
Want to try this Slow Cooker Chili Lime Pulled Chicken?
PIN IT to your chicken, dinner, or slow cooker recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!