It’s creamy, it’s hearty…it’s classic! This Creamy Corn Chowder gets extra oomph from some savory bacon and salty clams. You’ll love it!
If you love this recipe, make sure you check out this Mexican Street Corn White Chicken Chili, it’s so good!
This post was developed in paid partnership with Frontier Soups™. Thank you for being supportive of me working with brands I use and love!
This cool weather is giving me all the feels…and soup cravings!
There is honestly nothing better or more comforting than coming home to a hot bowl of soup on a chilly Fall day.
Corn Chowder Recipe
This Creamy Bacon Corn Chowder recipe is the perfect meal to warm you from the inside out!
Pull out your favorite pot and get ready, this chowder is pretty much effortless, but will taste like you spent all day crafting the perfect homemade soup.
This delicious chowder is filled with savory bacon, salty clams, and fresh corn, so it’s very satisfying.
Since this recipe practically cooks itself, there is very little prep and work involved. However, you can save some time by cooking the bacon ahead.
Corn Chowder Ingredients
Bacon: I used thick cut bacon; this is where that punch of bacon flavor will come from to make it oh.so.good!
Frontier Corn Chowder Mix: I used Frontier Corn Chowder Mix. It makes throwing this soup together super easy.
Orzo: I love orzo! It makes this chowder extra thick. If you don’t have orzo, you can use rice instead!
Coconut cream: it makes this chowder so creamy! You can also sub for full fat coconut milk or heavy whipping cream.
Bone broth: this is the base of the chowder, you can also use chicken broth but if you’re watching your sodium intake I highly suggest using bone broth.
Onion: I used a sweet onion and this is important because you want that onion taste, but you don’t want a very pungent onion.
Clams: you might be wondering what clams are doing in your corn chowder, but they’re here because they’re delicious! They pair so well with the corn and bacon. If you’re not a fan, you can omit them.
Corn: fresh corn is my favorite to use for this recipe, but it can be hard to find in the cooler months. If you can’t find corn on the cob, you can use frozen corn instead.
How To Make Corn Chowder
1. Cook the Bacon. Cook the bacon to your liking, dice into one inch pieces and set aside. I love making bacon in the air fryer!
2. Sauté the Onion. Heat a large pot on medium heat with olive oil. Add the onion and some of the chopped bacon. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the onion has softened.
3. Mix in the bone broth and chowder mix. Add the bone broth to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and stir in the Corn Chowder Mix. Simmer and cover for 45 minutes.
4. Combine the rest of the ingredients. Combine 1 tbsp of water with 1 tbsp of corn starch and mix into the soup with the coconut cream, clams, corn, orzo, and the remaining bacon.
Reduce the heat to low and heat uncovered for 30 minutes until slightly thickened.
Garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite toasted crusty bread for dipping!
Frontier Soup Mixes
These soup mixes making cooking so much easier! They’re great on their own, but even better when you add some fresh ingredients and your own personal touch.
It’s an easy way to let yourself get creative in the kitchen. They taste homemade, so you’d never know it came from a pre-made packet!
Aside from having a quick and easy homemade dinner ready in minutes, everything is all-natural, gluten free, non-GMO, no added salt, and no artificial ingredients.
They are focused on the finest natural ingredients with the highest quality standards. BONUS: You can actually pronounce the ingredients.
Questions you may Have:
What is Corn Chowder Soup?
Corn chowder is a soup that is prepared using corn as a primary ingredient. Traditional or basic corn chowder soup is typically made of corn, onion, celery, milk or cream, and butter.
If you’re feeling fancy, you can add ingredients like bacon, chicken, or shrimp.
What is the difference between a soup and a chowder?
Soup is made with stock or broth and can have vegetables, meat or fish as ingredients and is generally not very thick. A chowder may have the same ingredients, but is more chunky, creamy and thick, and is more like a stew.
How do you thicken corn chowder?
To make chowder or any soup thicker, you can combine 1 tbsp of cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water and then mix it into the soup.
What to serve with Corn Chowder?
I have never been one to say no to fresh bread! I highly recommend getting some fresh crusty bread and using it to dip with your soup. However, if you aren’t in a bread mood I do also recommend pairing your soup with a fresh salad, broccolini. or asparagus.
Can you freeze corn chowder made with milk?
Yes, you can freeze your creamy corn chowder or its leftovers (if their are any)! Corn chowder soup will keep for about 3 months in the freezer.
However, and this is important if you are planning on freezing your soup, dairy products and potato have a tendency to change in texture after freezing.
How long does corn chowder last in the fridge?
The soup will last for about 3-4 days in an air-tight container. I don’t recommend waiting longer than that to eat it.
WANT TO TRY THIS CORN CHOWDER RECIPE?
PIN IT to your corn chowder recipes, soup recipes, or dinner recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Creamy Bacon Corn Chowder
- 16 ounces thick cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 8 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 package Frontier Soups Illinois Prairie Corn Chowder Soup Mix
- 2 cups coconut cream, or full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 ounces chopped clams, juices removed
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 cup orzo
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Cook the bacon to your liking, dice into one inch pieces and set aside.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion and 2 tbsps of the chopped bacon. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Add the bone broth to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and stir in the Frontier Soups Illinois Prairie Corn Chowder Soup Mix. Simmer and cover for 45 minutes.
- Combine 1 tbsp of water with 1 tbsp of cornstarch and mix into the soup with the coconut cream, clams, corn, orzo, and the remaining bacon. Reduce the heat to low and heat uncovered for 30 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite toasted crusty bread for dipping!