Behind every basic girl is a piece of toast slathered with avocado-aka Avocado Toast.
What’s not to love about it? Carbs topped with delicious, creamy avocado..uh YUM! For a while I was eating just that toast with smashed avocado.
Ever since sharing my recipe for DIY Pickled Red Onions, I’ve had a lot of leftovers in my fridge to work with. So I’ve been coming up with creative ways ways to use them. Like these Blackened Shrimp Taco Spring Rolls and now this Healthy Avocado Toast.
Helpful tip: Make sure you are using a ripe avocado, otherwise it will be tough to smash. An easy way to determine if an avocado is ripe is to look at the color if it’s a dark shade of green and you can make a small dent when giving it a light squeeze then it’s ready to eat!
If you have an avocado that isn’t ready to eat yet, place it in a brown paper bag and close it. In one to two days it should be ready to eat.
3 Avocado Tools You Need Right Now
- The Avocado Saver keeps avocados from turning brown by restricting air from getting in. They store in the refrigerator for about three days!
- The All-in-1 Avocado tool is one of the most useful kitchen tools I’ve ever purchased. It slices the avocado, removes the pit, and skins it! Almost seems too good to be true…almost.
- A mortar & pestle is one of my favorite tools for mashing avocados. They are perfect for making and serving guacamole, and even make nice counter-top decor.
- 2 slices of whole grain bread (toasted)
- 1 ripe avocado (smashed)
- Pickled Red Onions (to taste)
- 2 tbs feta cheese
4 fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle (optional)
- Spread an even layer of avocado on each slice of bread.
- Tear basil by hand or cut with an herb scissors.
- Top toast with pickled onions, feta cheese, and basil.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.
Check out more of my recipes here.
Leave a Reply