Avocado Crema is an easy sauce recipe that combines Mexican crema (or sour cream), fresh lime juice, avocado, and cilantro. Use it on fish tacos, taco bowls, or any Mexican inspired dish!
Get ready for a creamy avocado sauce you will put on everything from salads to shrimp tacos to a dipping sauce for raw vegetables on a yummy snack platter! This simple sauce is full of fresh flavors and comes together with just five ingredients. Albeit simple, the flavor is anything but!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy this avocado lime crema is with fish tacos.
You will love this Avocado Crema Recipe
This easy sauce recipe is perfect for weekly taco nights!
I wanted to change things up a bit and step away from a typical guacamole topping on my tacos or burrito bowls and make creamy, zesty, and tangy avocado cream sauce to pair with just about everything.
Avocado Crema Sauce ingredients
- Avocado: this cream sauce is made with one ripe avocado. This is what will make your sauce super buttery and smooth.
- Cream base: to make this cream base you will need 1 cup of Mexican crema or sour cream. Greek yogurt is an excellent substitution if you prefer it.
- Bold flavor: no avocado cream sauce is complete without bold flavors like fresh lime juice, cilantro leaves, and fresh garlic (or garlic powder). You will also need a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Tip: if you want to add a little kick to your sauce, add a serano pepper!
How to make Avocado Crema
1. Combine ingredients. Place avocado, crema, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a food processor.
Tip: a mini food processor is perfect for flavorful sauce recipes like this.
2. Blend until smooth. Blend on high until all the ingredients are combined and a smooth and creamy sauce has formed. Your sauce should have a velvety smooth texture when finished.
Add a tablespoon of water at a time if you want a thinner sauce.
Can I make Crema for Tacos ahead of time?
Because this sauce only takes 5 minutes to make, I don’t recommend making it ahead of time. It looks and tastes best when made fresh.
However, if you are looking to save yourself some time, I would say, yes, you can make it a day ahead, but make sure to store it properly in an airtight container.
Avocado Lime Crema Recipe substitutions
I highly recommend using Mexican crema which can be found in almost any grocery store in the refrigerated section or your nearby Mexican markets.
However, if you can’t find it, the best substitute is sour cream. Another good substitute is full-fat Greek yogurt if you are looking for a thick consistency.
How to use Crema Sauce
With less than 5 minutes of effort, you can make everything taste better with this homemade crema.
Serve up this cream sauce and transform how you enjoy tortilla chips and dip, veggies and dip, pita chips, use it as a spread on wraps or sandwiches, drizzle it across a burger or top off your nachos with only the most delicious sauce.
This avocado lime crema tastes so good with Mexican Sweet Potatoes!
How to Store Leftover Avocado Crema
Leftover sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for about 3 days. I recommend adding a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of your sauce before putting the top on. Doing this will slow down the browning that happens when avocado comes in contact with air.
Avocado Crema Recipe FAQs
We’ve all been there – we cut into an avocado, only eat half, and all of a sudden the other half is brown before you can even blink an eye.
You can slow down the process of oxidization so your avocado cream sauce doesn’t look gross the next day.
I recommend saving the pit of the avocado and adding it to your leftovers before they are sealed. This will help slow down the browning process.
Another great way is to use lime juice. Adding a little lime juice to the surface of the crema can help prevent the crema from discoloring.
Remember, a change in color isn’t a bad thing! The sauce is still good to eat and enjoy, it just means the sauce is oxidizing. Before serving, give it a gentle stir and it will be good as new.
Guacamole is a famous Mexican dip made of mashed avocado and loaded with lime juice, fresh cilantro, tomatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and more. It has a chunkier consistency.
Avocado sauce is smooth and creamy and uses Mexican crema or sour cream as the base. It’s also blended in a food processor as opposed to being mashed with a fork or a pestle in a molcajete.
More like this Avocado Lime Crema
Looking for more homemade sauces to enjoy? Check out some of my favorites:
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Big Mac Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Empanada Sauce
- Chili Garlic Sauce
- Crab Cake Sauce
- Homemade Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- 5 Minute Garlic Butter Sauce
WANT TO TRY THIS CREAMY AVOCADO CREMA RECIPE?
PIN IT to your simple sauce recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Avocado Lime Crema
- If you want to add a little kick to your sauce, add a serano pepper!
- A mini food processor is perfect for flavorful sauce recipes like this.