An easy snack or tasty lunch; these Grilled Cheese Roll Ups are full of gooey cheese and a lot of nostalgia. Perfect for dunking into your favorite bowl of tomato soup.
These epic and cheesy grilled cheese dippers will bring back all the flavors of childhood lunches or snack time with buttery white bread and a combination of shredded cheeses.
Looking for something to sink your grilled cheese dippers into? Consider pairing with a bowl of tomato soup, or marinara sauce.
What is a Cheese Roll Up?
I don’t know about you, but comfort food is the way to my heart, especially after a long day.
Growing up, nothing was better than coming home to the best after school snack. The smell of the cheese melting and biting into crisp bread filled with cheesy goodness brings back so many memories.
Now, take that classic sandwich, and roll it up! These roll ups are made with the same traditional grilled cheese sandwich ingredients but with a fun spin on the shape that makes them fun for dipping.
This cheese roll-ups recipe is one you will want to bookmark, save, or print as it makes for the perfect last minute meal.
These roll ups are a delicious kid friendly lunch!
Ingredients needed for Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
Bread: if you are searching for the flavors of your childhood, ie. the way your mom used to make it, you are going to want to use soft white bread. You can however change it up and use wheat, whole wheat bread, whole grain bread, or potato bread.
Cheese: you can’t make grilled cheese without cheese! For this recipe, we are going to use shredded cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese. The brand doesn’t matter, whatever you have on hand or whatever your favorite is will do!
For cooking: to get that delicious taste and crispy outside, you are going to use unsalted butter and mayonnaise. Both ingredients are key to getting that crisp and golden brown exterior. You might have heard some people swear by using mayo and that is because it has a high smoke point which is perfect for recipes like this.
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below.
Try changing up the cheese for different flavors.
How to Make Grilled Cheese Dippers
1. Remove the crus from each slice of bread. Use a rolling pin to flatten each slice to about 1/4 inch thickness.
2. Place the cheese on bread. Place 1 tablespoon of cheddar and 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese on each slice of bread. Roll up tightly and place seam side down until ready to cook.
3. Brush with mayonnaise. Using a silicone pastry brush, lightly brush each roll up with mayonnaise. Don’t worry about brushing over the seam, you don’t want them to unroll before cooking.
4. Cook the grilled cheese rolls ups. Melt 2 tbsps of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. In a single layer, add half the roll ups to the pan, seam side down, with about 2 inches of space in between each one. Cook, turning about every two minutes until all sides are golden brown. Repeat for the second batch.
How do you Jazz Up your Grilled Cheese Roll Ups?
You can add a ton of flavor to your grilled cheese by adding so many delicious and different ingredients!
Looking to keep it simple? Try adding a blend of 4 different kinds of cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, and Havarti. This option is simple, easy, vegetarian-friendly, and kid-approved!
Looking for a more “adult-friendly” grilled cheese option? Consider adding some of my favorites like:
- Make a bacon grilled cheese by sprinkling finely diced bacon into your grilled cheese before rolling.
- Add thinly sliced pepperoni for a pizza grilled cheese.
- Adding shredded chicken and buffalo sauce will make a delicious buffalo chicken grilled cheese.
- Make a mushroom grilled cheese by adding thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms.
- Adding caramelized onions and shredded gruyere cheese will make a mouthwatering French onion grilled cheese.
- Place thinly sliced jalapeño peppers inside with sharp cheddar for a jalapeño popper grilled cheese.
- Add a few slices of thinly sliced avocado for a warm and gooey avocado grilled cheese.
Sauces or Condiments:
Serve your grilled cheese roll ups with some of these dipping sauces for an elevated snack.
Make them extra fun for kids by adding crushed potato chips.
Try Different Cheeses
Grilled cheese doesn’t always have to be made with the same cheese. Shake things up and add a fun twist to your cheese sandwich with different cheeses like provolone, asiago, pepper jack, colby jack, and more.
There is no limit on which cheese you can use, the number of cheeses, or how you combine them.
Can I use Kraft Singles?
If you really want to take these grilled cheese dippers back to the flavors of your childhood, you can use the popular American cheese slices known as Kraft Singles.
If you are not familiar with Kraft Singles, they are slices of American cheese wrapped in individual plastic sheets.
I like using shredded cheese because it melts better and gives a great cheese pull!
Can Grilled Cheese Roll Ups be made Ahead of Time?
Since grilled cheese is best served warm, I don’t advise making them ahead of time. Bread can go stale quickly and if the bread isn’t soft, it will crack when you roll it.
Can you make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Dippers?
You know my air fryer is always working on over time and there is no exception when it comes to this recipe!
Follow the same preparation steps, but instead of adding butter to a skillet, just pop them in your air fryer at 400 degrees F and cook for about 4 minutes (seam side down), flip and cook an additional 4 minutes or until golden brown.
Don’t over crowed the basket or they won’t get crispy.
WANT TO TRY THIS GRILLED CHEESE ROLL UPS RECIPE?
PIN IT to your grilled cheese recipes, lunch recipes, or kid friendly recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter,
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Remove the crust from each slice of bread. Use a rolling pin to flatten each slice to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place 1 tbsp of cheddar and 1 tbsp of mozzarella cheese on each slice of bread. Roll up tightly and place seam side down until ready to cook.
- Using a silicone pastry brush, lightly brush each roll up with mayonnaise. Don't worry about brushing over the seam, you don't want them to unroll before cooking.
- Melt 2 tbsps of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. In a single layer, add half the roll ups to the pan, seam side down, with about 2 inches of space in between each one. Cook, turning about every two minutes, until all sides are golden brown. Repeat for the second batch.