15 Minute Healthy Pita Pizzas
With New Years quickly approaching, many of us are looking to shape up our diets by incorporating healthier alternatives to the foods we crave most. I’m helping you get started with a 15 minute healthy meal.
Pizza is one of my favorite childhood memories. I remember getting so excited for “pizza night” aka any night with a babysitter as a kid. I still love pizza (who doesn’t?) but while searching for a healthier alternative to on of my favorite foods, I discovered pita crusts! And so, 15 Minute Healthy Pita Pizzas were born!
Most of us love a thin, crispy crust…unless you’re a deep dish Chicago native. I really don’t get those people. If you love a thin crust pizza as much as I do, you’ll love these healthy pita pizzas. Using pita bread sliced in half and toasted creates the PERFECT thin crust.
Lately I’ve been so busy between work, the holidays, and my social life that I am all about 15 minute dinners like these Healthy Pita Pizzas and these 15 Minute Pork Chops. Being able to throw a fabulous dinner together in under 30 minutes is a lifesaver!
These pita pizzas are the perfect alternative to everyone’s favorite go-to. A lemon herb hummus serves as the “sauce”, which brings a tangy yet savory flavor to each bite. Hummus is high in fiber and filling, so you will most definitely be satisfied.
Of course I placed the hummus on my custom board from Words With Boards! You can get one with your name, too. They make the best gifts!
This recipe yields two servings, about three pita pizzas per serving. They save well so you can bring the leftovers to the office for lunch!
Want to try these 15 Minute Healthy Pita Pizzas?
15 Minute Veggie Pita Pizzas
- 6 whole wheat pita pockets
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 12 ounces hummus
- 1 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 2 cups kale
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil
- optional: balsamic glaze
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the kale and red onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 additional minutes, until mushrooms have browned and kale is wilted.
- Mix together the hummus, lemon juice and zest and paprika.
- Slice the pita pockets in half and toast for 3-4 minutes. Spread the hummus mixture over each piece of pita and layer with mushrooms, kale, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and red onions.