Spook up your Halloween treats this year with these easy to make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats. They’re ready in just 20 minutes!
This post was developed in partnership with Dixie Crystals. Thank you for being supportive of me working with brands I use and love!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
Every year I get really excited when the calendar flips over to the Fall months.
You’ve got crisp weather, pumpkins, apple cider everything, and pumpkin spice (cue Pumpkin Spice Hot Toddies) everything. What more could you want?
Something spook-tacular treat to snack on maybe?
These Halloween Rice Krispie Treats make the cutest (I mean spookiest) graveyard dessert!
They are the perfect no-bake Halloween dessert. Fun for the whole family, a socially distant Halloween party, office treats, school snacks, anything!
Did I mention that they are super easy to make?!
This Halloween treat is also the perfect dessert to make with your kids and introduce them to the kitchen and baking! What’s better than learning a new trick, having some fun, and getting to eat it!
Rice Krispie Treat Ingredients
- Mini marshmallows – this is what holds these sticky little treats together!
- Cocoa Rice Krisipes – I hope this isn’t too obvious, but bring on the Rice Krispies! Don’t want to make them chocolate? You can sub for whatever Rice Krispie flavor you want!
- Chocolate frosting – the frosting is what the milano cookies and candy ghosts stick to, so make sure you lay it on thick.
- Milano cookies – an essential step for making the tombstones in your graveyard.
- Other ingredients – you’ll also need a black edible marker, candy ghosts (or candy corn or candy pumpkins – whatever you can find!) to turn a batch of rice krispies treats into a cute and spooky graveyard!
If you want to make chocolate frosting from scratch, you can make it easily with butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, milk, and powdered sugar. I recommend using Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar.
How To Make Rice Krispie Treats
1. Prep the baking pan. Line a 9X9 pan with parchment paper and grease with butter.
2. Combine the marshmallows and butter. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, add marshmallows and stir until warm and marshmallows are melted.
3. Make the rice krispie treats. Meanwhile, place Rice Krispies cereal in a large bowl. Once marshmallow mixture is heated, pour over cereal and stir gently to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan and push down gently to mold treats into the shape of the pan.
4. Slice the rice krispie treats. Allow treats to come to set and come to room temperature before slicing into 12 rectangles.
A full list of ingredients and steps can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Decorating your Graveyard Rice Krispie Treats
While you’re waiting for the Rice Krispie Treats to set and cool, use the edible marker to write RIP on each cookie.
When you are done with that, you can then move on to frosting each Rice Krispie treat with chocolate frosting.
Press the cookies into the back of each Rice Krispie treat and top with a candy ghost and/or other spook-tacular decorations!
Fun Graveyard Additions
Looking to add to your mini graveyard? Try some of these toppings:
- Crushed up Oreo’s for dirt on top of your frosting
- Hershey’s Cookies N Crème Candy Bars or Graham Crackers for a different tombstone substitution
- Monster or Zombie Gummy Candy for your graveyard
- Spider Candy
- Gummy Worms
Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Frosted Frankenstein Brownies from Big Bear’s Wife
- Spider Web Chocolate Tart from The Flour Handprint
- Moldy Bits of Glass Muffins (Matcha Muffins) from The Spiffy Cookie
- Halloween Pretzel Treat from Devour Dinner
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Monster Marshmallow Pops from Sweet Beginnings
- Wicked Witch Fudge from Take Two Tapas
WANT TO TRY THESE GRAVEYARD CHOCOLATE RICE KRIPIE TREATS?
PIN IT to your halloween recipes, dessert recipes, or holiday recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Graveyard Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 5 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies
- 16 ounces chocolate frosting
- 6 milano cookies, sliced in half
- black edible marker
- 12 candy ghosts, if you can't find these you can use candy corn or candy pumpkins!
Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a 9X9 pan with parchment paper and grease with butter.
- Melt 3 tbsps of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, add marshmallows and stir until warm and marshmallows are melted.
- Meanwhile, place Rice Krispies cereal in a large bowl. Once marshmallow mixture is heated, pour over cereal and stir gently to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan and push down gently to mold treats into the shape of the pan.
- Allow treats to come to set and come to room temperature before slicing into 12 rectangles.
- While you're waiting for the Rice Krispie treats to set, use the edible marker to write RIP on each cookie. Then frost each Rice Krispie treat with chocolate frosting. Press the cookies into the back of each Rice Krispie treat and top with a candy ghost.
Happy Halloween!Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #8 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #9 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #10 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #13 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #14 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
a Rafflecopter giveaway Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes. We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!