This recipe first appeared on Savory Experiments where I am a contributor.
This Creamy Avocado Pasta recipe is packed full of nutrients, healthy fats and tons of flavor. This simple recipe only uses 7 ingredients and can be made in no time, making for the perfect easy weeknight dinner.
This pasta recipe is light, fresh and doesn’t give you that “too full” feeling.
If you love this Avocado Pasta, you’ll love my Avocado Risotto!
Easy Avocado Sauce Recipe
I love this recipe because while it’s a creamy pasta, it isn’t full of heavy cream and butter which ends up making you feel way too full and not wanting to move.
It’s a great pasta to eat for lunch and if you’re wanting to add protein, air fryer chicken would be a delicious addition or even using a protein pasta.
You can also change this recipe into a vegan recipe. If you switch your full fat greek yogurt for a plant based yogurt, it will still be just as delicious but dairy free.
Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce Recipe Ingredients
Spaghetti: I like to use whole wheat noodles for this recipe. It helps keep the pasta dish a little more healthy.
Avocados: you will need two large avocados for this recipe. If you’re unable to find 2 large ones then I would go ahead and grab three smaller ones.
Greek yogurt: you can use any plain greek yogurt, I used 5% or full fat yogurt.
If you’re wanting to make this a vegan avocado pasta dish, you can find greek yogurt substitutes at your local grocery store. Kite Hill is one of my favorite vegan yogurt brands
Garlic: you will need fresh garlic cloves for this recipe. You can use pre-minced garlic (aka lazy girl garlic), but keep in mind, it is less potent than fresh garlic so use just a little bit more.
Lemon: you will need lemon juice for this recipe. I prefer using a fresh lemon, but you can use the fresh lemon juice out of the bottle too.
Parsley leaves: you are going to want to use fresh parsley for this recipe. Using dried parsley won’t have the correct texture or give off the same flavor.
Extra virgin olive oil: this is one of the main ingredients that is going to thin out your sauce. You’re welcome to use any olive oil that you’d like, but make sure it isn’t infused.
Tomatoes: I like to use cherry tomatoes for this recipe but if you have a different kind of tomato, you can use it but dice up your tomato so they’re bite sized.
How to Sneak in More Veggies into this easy avocado pasta
I love sneaking veggies into my pasta dishes! Luckily, this one is super easy to sneak veggies into as well.
You can add peas or asparagus to your pasta sauce before blending it. You can also add in baby spinach or other leafy greens, which I have found is the best option for picky eaters.
How to Make Easy Creamy Avocado Pasta
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
4. Make the avocado pasta sauce. While pasta is cooking, place the avocado, Greek yogurt, salt, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and extra virgin olive oil in a food processor or blender to make your avocado cream sauce.
Pulse until smooth. You can also use a stick/immersion blender to combine.
3. Make the avocado pasta. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Return the pasta back to the hot pot and add the avocado sauce to the pot. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until hot and pasta is fully coated in the avocado sauce.
4. Serve. Transfer the cooked pasta to a serving dish and top with fresh tomatoes and parsley.
What to Do with Lots of Ripe Avocados
Sometimes it’s easier and cheaper to buy avocados in bulk but we all know how quickly avocados can turn! There are many different ways to use ripe avocados.
You can make an 5 Minute Creamy Avocado Crema which pairs well with most any Mexican dish, Vegan Avocado Risotto for a delicious dinner and an Easy Avocado Mango Salsa which is perfect to eat with chips at home or bring to a party.
Will avocado pasta sauce turn brown?
Since we added lemon juice to our creamy sauce, it will not turn brown. However, I would only keep this pasta sauce for up to two days as leftovers.
If you add lemon or lime juice to an avocado that has been exposed to air, it won’t turn brown.
What goes well with creamy avocado sauce?
You can use avocado sauce on many different things. You can use it in pastas, as a dip (or topping) for different meats, like chicken and salad dressing. I haven’t tried this yet, but I think it would be really good on a baked potato!
How to Store Creamy Avocado Pasta
I recommend eating your creamy pasta fresh, but you can definitely still enjoy it as leftovers. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days in an airtight container.
I don’t recommend freezing this pasta recipe, but if you’re wanting to make it in advance, you can keep it in your freezer for up to two months. The freezing and thawing process can mess with the texture of this dish.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
- Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta
- Goat Cheese Orzo Pasta Salad
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- Lobster Pasta With Champagne Butter Sauce
WANT TO TRY THIS CREAMY AVOCADO PASTA RECIPE?
PIN IT to your easy pasta recipes, avocado recipes, or vegetarian recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce
- 10 ounces dry whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 large avocados pitted and sliced
- 10 ounces plain Greek yogurt, I used 5%
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, place the avocado, Greek yogurt, salt, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and extra virgin olive oil in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. You can also use a stick/immersion blender to combine.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Return the pasta back to the hot pot and add the avocado sauce to the pot. Heat over low, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until hot and pasta is fully coated in the avocado sauce.
- Transfer the cooked pasta to a serving dish and top with fresh tomatoes and parsley.
Perfect, light and delicious! I loved the yogurt aspect to this recipe. Thank you for an awesome one!
I needed a way to use up some ripe avocados so decided to make this. So happy that I did! It was easy to make and tastes great. Thanks for the recipe!
This makes the perfect easy supper. My family gobbled it up. Thanks!
Always happy to eat more avocados. So much easier to make than I thought!
This is a whole new way to enjoy avocados, and the sauce is so tasty with the whole wheat pasta. Terrific recipe!