Roasted Yellow Squash is an easy and delicious squash recipe requiring only a small handful of ingredients and minimal hands on time.
Roasted Yellow Squash Recipe
Looking for that perfect side dish or easy to make veggies for meal prep?
This Roasted Yellow Squash Recipe is here to be the perfect meal time solution whether it’s lunch, dinner, or even that mid day snack! It comes together in under 30 minutes.
I love fresh vegetables not only for the incredible flavors and color, but for their nutrition.
This Roasted Summer Squash recipe is the perfect go-to because it goes with just about everything.
Roasted Yellow Squash Ingredients
Vegetables: yellow squash. If you want to try this recipe with a different veggie, you can substitute for zucchini or eggplant.
Dry ingredients: this is where all the incredible flavors are found! For this recipe, you will need panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and fresh chopped parsley.
Dairy: parmesan cheese (fresh grated is best) and asiago cheese (for the perfect garnish).
*for a detailed list of ingredients and measurements see the recipe card below.
How to make Roasted Yellow Squash
This easy recipe comes together in just three simple steps!
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F and lightly grease a sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Slice the squash. Slice the squash into 1/2 inch rounds. Arrange squash in a flat layer on a baking sheet and spritz with olive oil.
3. Season and roast the squash. Combine the Parmesan cheese, panko garlic power, paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
Sprinkle the seasoning over the squash and roast on a sheet pan for 12 – 15 minutes, until the golden brown. Garnish with parsley and asiago cheese before serving if desired. Use a spatula to remove the squash from the sheet pan.
What to serve with Roasted Yellow Squash
There are so many exciting recipes their pair well with yellow squash. I made a list of some of my favorites if you need help coming up with a full meal!
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Juicy Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Filet Mignon
- Pistachio Crusted Air Fryer Salmon
Some Questions You May Have About Cooking Yellow Squash
Do you have to peel yellow squash before cooking?
There is no need to peel your squash before cooking, however, I definitely recommend washing it clean before cutting.
How do you cut and cook yellow squash?
I recommend slicing off the ends and slicing or dicing based on preference. If you’ve never cooked squash before, prepping it for cooking is the same as prepping a zucchini!
In terms of cooking, there are so many ways to cook yellow squash, but I definitly recommend oven roasting or air frying!
Do you peel bumpy yellow squash?
Nope! The coolest thing about yellow squash and zucchini is that the skin is completely edible; bumps are natural and safe to eat.
Can you substitute yellow squash for zucchini in baking?
Yes! Yellow Squash and zucchini are interchangeable in both cooking and baking recipes. So whether it’s preference or what you have on hand, this substitution is 100% compatible.
Can you eat yellow squash raw?
Absolutely! Eating yellow squash raw is nutrient rich. Depending on the size of the squash, the flavor will vary. The smaller yellow squashes tend to be less bitter and more sweet; perfect for eating raw.
More Recipes You May Like
WANT TO TRY THIS ROASTED YELLOW SQUASH RECIPE?
PIN IT to your vegetable recipes, squash recipes, or side dish recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Roasted Yellow Squash
- Sheet Pan
- 3 large yellow squash
- olive oil spray, for cooking
- 2.5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- shredded asiago cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F and lightly grease a sheet pan with cooking spray
- Slice the squash into 1/2 inch rounds. Arrange squash in a flat layer on a baking sheet and spritz with olive oil.
- Combine the Parmesan cheese, panko garlic power, paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning over the squash and roast for 12-15 minutes, until the golden brown. Garnish with parsley and asiago cheese before serving if desired. Use a spatula to remove the squash from the sheet pan.