Filled with spinach and creamy ricotta cheese, Spinach Lasagna Rolls are easy to make for dinner any night of the week. These individual vegetarian lasagna rolls are family friendly and easy to serve.
Made with all the flavors you know and love in lasagna, these perfect portion lasagna roll ups are great for a date night dinner, a tasty lunchtime meal prep, or to share at a casual dinner party with friends.
Looking for more irresistible Italian inspired dishes? Check out some of my favorites like Zucchini Meatballs, Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats, or Zucchini Lasagna Rolls!
Lasagna Roll Ups
A tasty dinner can come easy with little to no effort thanks to this yummy lasagna roll up recipe.
The Italian American recipe features everything you love about classic lasagna and the flavors of Italy rolled up into portion-sized rolls just begging to be scooped up and bit into!
This recipe comes with endless recipe variations making it a 5-star favorite for those that love a classic pasta recipe, but like flavor variety and options.
Ingredients needed to make Lasagna Rolls
Pasta: to make this recipe, you will need lasagna noodles. I recommend using classic lasagna noodles, but you can also use oven ready noodles if you like. Just make sure you boil them for about 3 minutes before rolling.
Dairy and eggs: this delicious and creamy filling comes together with fresh ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan, and egg.
Vegetables: loaded with healthy greens and vegetables packed with vitamins and nutrients, this recipe calls for spinach, fresh basil, white onion, and garlic.
Herbs and spices: because the fresh ingredients speak (loudly) for themselves, you will only need a touch of Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper for seasoning.
Sauce: you can’t make lasagna without sauce! For this particular dish, I used my favorite marinara sauce, however, you can use your own homemade tomato sauce or favorite store bought brand.
How to Make Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna Rolls
1. Cook the noodles. Preheat the oven and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and olive oil to the pot and cook them 1 minute less than suggested on package instructions. You don’t want them to be too mushy after baking!
2. Strain the noodles. Strain the noodles and run them under cold water to prevent them from cooking longer. Place a sheet of parchment paper on the counter and lay the noodles out in a single layer.
3. Make the spinach and ricotta filling. Add the ricotta, spinach, basil, shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan cheese, egg, onion, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
4. Fill lasagna noodles. Pour marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9X12 baking pan. Spread about 5 tbsps of filling onto each lasagna noodle and roll tightly.
5. Bake the lasagna rolls. Place the lasagna rolls seam side down in the prepared baking pan, top with remaining cheese, and cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and broil 2-3 minutes, until cheese begins to turn golden. Garnish with more fresh basil if desired.
Lasanga Roll Up Variations
One of the things I love most about this recipe is all the different variations! Make this recipe different every time with meat, veggie, or sauce variations.
Vegetables. Sneak in other delicious hearty vegetables like:
- Red peppers or any color bell pepper
Meat. If you aren’t looking to keep this recipe vegetarian, you can add some protein to lasagna rolls by adding:
- Italian sausage
- Ground beef
- Ground chicken
Sauce. Tired of the same old marinara sauce or homemade spaghetti sauce, change up the flavor with a different sauce like:
- Béchamel sauce
- Hearty meat sauce
- Alfredo sauce
- Vodka sauce
- Pesto sauce
Looking to get really creative? Consider making lobster or shrimp lasagna with a creamy alfredo sauce!
Side Dishes to Serve with Lasagna
Serve up your lasagna with a fresh green salad, Air Fryer Asparagus, Parmesan Chicken Meatballs, or some homemade garlic bread or cheesy bread.
Need appetizers? Consider making crowd-pleasers like Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks or a Mediterranean Mezze Platter!
How Long to Cook Lasagna Noodles
Typically, lasagna noodles take 8-10 minutes to make/prepare al dente. However, my best suggestion would be to follow the specific instructions on the side of the pasta box you are using.
You’ll want to cook them one minute less than what the package suggests so they don’t get mushy after baking.
How Long do I Bake Lasagna?
Once you have prepared your lasagna rolls, prepped the bottom of a casserole dish, and arranged your roll ups, it’s finally time for baking!
Take your lasagna rolls and place them seam side down in the prepared dish, cover with foil, and bake for about 35-40 minutes.
After about 35 minutes of baking, remove the foil from the dish and broil for about 2-3 minutes. This will give the cheese a nice golden brown coloring.
How do you Reheat Lasagna Rolls?
Reheating pasta can be done two ways, in the oven and in the microwave. Choose the cooking method below that makes the most sense for you and how much time you have.
Oven Method. Reheat your lasagna rolls in the oven by putting your lasagna rolls covered with aluminum foil in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Microwave. In a time crunch or making these to meal prep and reheat at work? Toss them in the microwave with a damp paper towel covering them for 1 minute.
Air Fryer. Reheat a single lasagna roll 2-3 at a time in the air fryer for 4-6 minutes at 350 F.
Can you Boil Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles for Roll Ups?
Yes! You can boil oven ready lasagna noodles for 3 minutes or until they are pliable before preparing them and using them to make your lasagna roll ups.
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
If you love pasta like I do, you are going to love these pasta dishes.
- Mediterranean Gluten Free Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- Lobster Pasta With Champagne Butter Sauce
- Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad
- Mint Pesto Prosciutto Pasta
- Tomato Ricotta Pesto Pasta
- Creamy Basil Pesto Shrimp Pasta
WANT TO TRY THIS SPINACH LASAGNA ROLLS RECIPE?
PIN IT to your dinner recipes, lasagna recipes, or vegetarian recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna Rolls
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 10 oz frozen spinach, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parm
- 1 egg
- 1/2 white onion, very finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and olive oil to the pot and cook them 1 minute less than suggested on package instructions. You don't want them to be too mushy after baking!
- Strain the noodles and run them under cold water to prevent them from cooking longer. Place a sheet of parchment paper on the counter and lay the noodles out in a single layer.
- Add the ricotta, spinach, basil, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan cheese, egg, onion, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Pour 1 cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9X12 baking pan. Spread about 5 tbsps of filling onto each lasagna noodle and roll tightly.
- Place the lasagna rolls seam side down in the prepared baking pan, top with remaining cheese, and cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and broil 2-3 minutes, until cheese begins to turn golden. Garnish with more fresh basil if desired.
These look awesome! I made the same meal for my dinners this week 🙂
Thanks! Hope yours turned out well!
Came out great, could have used a little more sauce on my end though 🙂
This recipe is easy and elegant, perfect for any kind of dinner party! Thank you for including how to use oven ready noodles – super helpful!
This dish looks so comforting and cheesy delicious! Love the idea of adding in some mushrooms or maybe some ground turkey. Can’t wait to try!
This is so delicious and looks so pretty despite how easy it is to prepare. Definitely a dependable recipe when hosting a dinner party.
I make these at least a few time a month! Love them with mushrooms and red pepper for extra veg!!!
Very yummy! We really enjoyed a good amount of basil in this! Truly wonerful flavours 🙂
Very nice recipe