Ideal for a cozy breakfast or holiday brunch, this Baked Cranberry Oatmeal is a sweet and hearty morning dish that’s easy to make and bursting with warm and comforting flavors!
Whether you need to prep breakfasts for the week or feed a large crowd on a chilly morning, this baked oatmeal is sure to be a hit.
Why You’ll Love This Baked Oatmeal with Cranberries Recipe
Sometimes, you need something sweet and decadent for a special breakfast. Just like my Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal or these Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins, making baked oatmeal is a great way to satisfy that morning sweet tooth.
It might taste like dessert, but this filling recipe is packed with healthy ingredients like rolled oats and tart cranberries for a meal that’s sure to keep you satisfied throughout the day.
You can serve this elegant but simple dish as a special holiday season breakfast, make it for brunch with your loved ones, or even bake it up for a breakfast-for-dinner! However you choose to serve it, you’ll love this cranberry baked oatmeal for its easy prep, sweet flavors, and comforting nature.
If you’re looking for a little extra protein in your oatmeal, give this baked oats recipe with protein powder a try!
Ingredients for Cranberry Baked Oatmeal Squares
Old Fashioned Rolled Oats: sometimes called just old fashioned oats or rolled oats, these are perfect for baked oatmeal. Using instant oats/quick oats will result in a mushy oatmeal bake.
Spices: combine warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger for a delicious oatmeal dish that’s particularly perfect for cozy, chilly mornings.
Nuts: I opted for pecans, but you could also use walnuts or another kind of nut. You’ll want to buy toasted nuts (or toast them yourself).
Fresh Orange Zest: pairs well with the warm spices and provides some balance with tangy, citrus flavor.
Almond Milk: any kind of milk can be used, but I like the slight nuttiness provided by almond milk. Oat milk and coconut milk are other great options.
Pure Maple Syrup: adds some natural sweetness.
Egg: helps bind together the oatmeal bake and prevents it from falling apart in the oven.
Butter: gives your cranberry oatmeal a comforting buttery flavor that makes it irresistible!
Vanilla extract : helps enhance all the flavors and adds a subtle vanilla flavor.
Fruit: add frozen cranberries and some fresh apple cubes for some nutrition and a burst of fruitiness. I find frozen cranberries are easier to keep around than fresh cranberries.
If you have leftover orange cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving, you can mix that into the oatmeal instead of using frozen cranberries!
How to Make Cranberry Baked Oatmeal
1. Combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the oats with spices, nuts, and orange zest.
2. Combine wet ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the almond milk with syrup, egg, butter, and vanilla.
3. Prepare oatmeal mixture. Pour the blended wet ingredients over the oat mixture and fold together.
4. Add fruit. Carefully mix in the cranberries and apples.
5. Bake the oatmeal. Add the mixture to a prepared baking dish (I like to use a rectangle or square baking dish for sharp edges) and bake in the oven until the top is golden brown. Rest, then cut into slices and serve!
Tips for Making Cranberry Orange Baked Oatmeal
- This is an excellent make-ahead breakfast. Make your baked oatmeal on a Sunday afternoon, then slice it into individual portions and store in separate containers for easy breakfasts throughout the week! The perfect way to meal prep and ensure you’ve got healthy and wholesome morning meals throughout the week.
- Bake it in smaller portions. You can also bake your oatmeal in smaller dishes (ramekins work well) and skip the slicing step altogether!
- Add other fruits. For even more nutrition and fruity flavor, mix in additional dried fruits like raisins, dried cherries, apricots, and more.
- Use another sweetener. If you don’t have maple syrup handy, honey or agave syrup are good options. For some additional sweetness, you could also add brown sugar.
- Serve with your choice of toppings. Drizzle baked oatmeal with more maple syrup, dried fruit, additional crunchy walnuts or pecans, or add a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Eat as a cold cereal. For another way to enjoy this recipe, place a slice of baked oatmeal in a bowl and pour your favorite milk over top, or even a bit of orange juice to bring out that citrus flavor. You could also add a scoop of Greek yogurt
Baked Cranberry Oatmeal FAQs
Is Baked Oatmeal Healthy?
Absolutely, which makes this the perfect way to start your day! Rolled oats are a fantastic source of fiber and protein, which will help you feel fuller for longer and can be great for weight management and heart health. The addition of fruits also provides some vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
What to Serve with Baked Cranberry Oatmeal
If you want to make this baked oatmeal recipe the centerpiece of a larger meal, it can be great to pair with something savory or salty for some balance. These Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs are a great option, and they’re so easy to make!
How to Store Baked Oatmeal with Cranberries
Once fully cooled to room temperature, transfer your baked oatmeal to an airtight container or wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and leave in the fridge for a week or so.
You can also freeze this oatmeal bake for months at a time. Use parchment paper or wax paper to separate any layers if needed. This will prevent sticking.
How to Reheat Cranberry Oatmeal
Leftovers can be enjoyed cold, but if you do want to heat them up, it can be as simple as popping a slice of baked oatmeal in the microwave for a minute or two!
If you want to heat up a larger portion, place it in a baking dish and lightly cover with foil and bake in the oven or toaster oven at 350 degrees F until heated through again.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
WANT TO TRY THIS CRANBERRY BAKED OATMEAL RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, dinner recipes, or pesto recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Cranberry Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 cups almond milk unsweetened
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 cup apple peeled and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9 x 7 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the oats, spices, baking powder, salt, pecans and orange zest. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, maple syrup, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the cranberries and apple, then pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden and the oatmeal is set.
- Let the oatmeal rest for 10 minutes to firm up before slicing. Serve with a scoop of Greek yogurt fresh fruit, or a drizzle of maple syrup.