Golden Sweet Cornbread baked to perfection with crispy edges and a soft, fluffy center. This cornbread recipe is perfect for Fall, Thanksgiving, chili, soup, and more!
Made with corn, butter, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and the right amount of sweetness, this Golden Sweet Cornbread recipe with corn is so good, it will be gone before you can pull it out of the oven!
Best Sweet Cornbread Recipe
Let’s bake homemade cornbread that … wait for it … can be ready in just one hour!
Bread making can be a time-consuming art form. However, not all bread has to be.
Cornbread is one of my favorite types of bread to bake and Fall side dishes to prepare. It’s perfect for Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving dinners, but it can also be enjoyed at your Summer BBQs. I think that’s why I love it so much. It’s pretty much delicious all year.
This is the best cornbread for football Sunday with a pot of homemade chili or a cool night when all you want is warm comfort food. This cornbread is also the perfect lunch or dinner partner for so many dishes.
So, whether you make it in an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, baking dish, or cake pan you really can’t ever go wrong with this perfectly soft cornbread.
Golden Cornbread Ingredients
The best cornbread recipe is just a few ingredients away!
Corn: to make the most perfect cornbread, you will need to use sweet corn. I recommend using fresh sweet corn, however, you can use regular canned corn too if needed.
Wet ingredients: bring out the perfect taste and texture with softened butter, condensed milk, and evaporated milk.
Eggs: nothing is worse than having dry cornbread that’s so dry it’s hard to swallow and gets stuck in your mouth! This is where the eggs come in! They help make a moist cornbread that isn’t crumbly that it falls apart.
Vanilla extract: for a soft, subtle, and unexpected flavor, make sure to use pure vanilla extract.
Cinnamon: for the perfect compliment to corn flavors, grab some ground cinnamon.
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below.
How to Make Golden Sweet Cornbread
1. Preheat oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Blend corn and milk. In a blender or Vitamix, blend the corn and evaporated milk.
3. Cream butter. In a large bowl, cream the butter using an electric hand mixer until it is very soft and fluffy.
4. Mix in remaining ingredients. Add in the eggs, one by one, and mix until combined. Mix in the condensed milk and vanilla. Mix well. Next, add the corn mixture and mix.
5. Combine Dry Ingredients. Combine the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix until combined. Try not to over mix.
6. Bake the cornbread. Pour the batter/mixture into a square pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the edges are a bit golden. To check for doneness, use a toothpick. Make sure the toothpick is inserted in the middle and when you pull it out, make sure it comes out clean.
7. Serve. Remove the cornbread from the oven. Allow it to cool before cutting into equal squares and serving.
Make muffins instead by pouring your batter into muffin tins!
How do you Keep Cornbread Moist?
There is nothing worse than a super dry piece of bread or cornbread. When baking, make sure to measure your flour precisely and carefully. Too much flour can cause the cornbread to come out dry.
Already made your cornbread and wondering how to keep cornbread moist overnight?
Allow your leftover cornbread to cool and reach room temperature. Once it has cooled, wrap your golden cornbread in plastic wrap.
The plastic wrap will keep the air and moisture away from the cornbread so it lasts longer. If you don’t have plastic wrap, you can also store your cornbread in an airtight container.
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Make sure your cornbread is cool before storing it in the fridge. If you store it while it is still warm, moisture will get trapped and cause the cornbread to spoil faster.
Is Cornbread Supposed to be Sweet?
When it comes to cornbread, there is a never-ending debate on whether it should be sweet or savory. The bottom line, it really comes down to where you are from and how you enjoy it prepared.
Sweet cornbread: common in the north and has more of a cake-like consistency.
Savory cornbread: common in the south and is prepared with cornmeal and oil.
What do Southerners eat with Cornbread?
The great debate between sweet vs. savory cornbread doesn’t quite stop with just that difference. Northerners and Southerners actually enjoy different ingredients and/or side dishes with their cornbread.
Southern cornbread is enjoyed with:
- Cheddar cheese
- Pork; like Bacon or Ribs
- Greens; like green beans, kale, and collard greens.
- Veggies; like brussles sprouts and Roasted Yellow Squash
- BBQ; like BBQ Chicken
Cornbread Without Buttermilk
A common ingredient in some cornbread recipes is buttermilk. Cornbread however can be made without buttermilk or with a buttermilk substitution.
Buttermilk is an acidic ingredient that produces carbon dioxide gas which makes bubbles creating airy bread.
Cornbread Without Cornmeal
Cornmeal creates a light, but dense and crumbly cornbread; typically, it is found in savory Southern style cornbread recipes.
Can you make cornbread without cornmeal? Is that even heard of or possible? Absolutely!
Forget the corn meal with this recipe because we are using real corn to bake the best Golden Sweet Cornbread in town.
Did you know you can enjoy sweet cornbread as a dessert or snack?!
I recommend warming up a slice of cornbread with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup across it, or spreading melted butter on the side for the perfect mid-day snack or after-dinner dessert!
Looking to kick your cornbread dessert up a notch further? Sweet cornbread and ice cream is popular dessert in the Mexican community. Try pairing your cornbread with a scoop of corn-flavored ice cream.
Depending on where you are from corn flavored ice cream might be hard to find. If you can’t find it, don’t sweat, you can also pair it with vanilla ice cream.
WANT TO TRY THIS GOLDEN SWEET CORNBREAD RECIPE?
PIN IT to your cornbread recipes, appetizer recipes, or side dish recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Golden Sweet Cornbread
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a blender or Vitamix, blend the corn and evaporated milk.
- In another bowl, cream the butter using an electric hand mixer until it is very soft and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one by one, and mix until combined. Mix in the condensed milk and vanilla. Mix well. Next, add the corn mixture and mix.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix until combined. Try not to overmix.
- Transfer the mixture into your baking pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the edges are a bit golden, and it passes the toothpick test. Add a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven. Allow it to cool before cutting into equal squares and serving.