Taco Tuesday might be my favorite day of the week. Some of the best taco spots in Baltimore serve delicious tacos on the cheap. Why can’t every day be Taco Tuesday? Well, this week I decided it could.
How? Blackened Shrimp Taco Bowl meal prep!
These taco bowls are going to be your new summer meal prep favorite. The flavor from the blackening seasoning gives these bowls a nice kick, while the cilantro-lime jasmine rice brings a refreshing flavor to balance the dish.
These bowls are filled with blackened shrimp, cilantro-lime jasmine rice, iceberg lettuce, pickled onions, corn, tortilla strips, and Sir Kensington’s Special Sauce—which I found on Amazon. The “special sauce” is sort of like a chipotle mayo and goes perfectly with this dish.
I suggest making the pickled onions the day before. They are ready in about five minutes and taste best after marinating for a few hours. Check out this easy recipe for pickled red onions.
The corn is like a modified version of my Mexican Street Corn. To keep this recipe quick, I only added Cotija cheese and chili powder. Cotija cheese can be found at your local grocery store, but feta cheese is a perfect substitute if you have trouble finding it.
This recipe makes five taco bowls with three to four shrimp in each, depending on size. If you’re like me, you’ll compact all these ingredients into four containers and treat yourself by going out to lunch on Friday!
I used a 10” cast iron griddle pan for this recipe because the heat transfers better and will cook the shrimp more evenly. A non-stick pan will also work but you may need to work in batches. Read more about cooking blackened shrimp here.
- To make meal prepping easier, I always pack meals in BPA free, microwave and oven safe glass containers.
- Cast iron skillets do an amazing job transferring heat and making sure everything is cooked evenly.
Blackened Shrimp Taco Bowl Meal Prep
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp – peeled and devained
- 1.5 cups jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime – juice & zest
- 1 lb frozen corn
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- 1 32 oz bag shredded iceberg lettuce
- Sir Kensington’s Special Sauce
- 4 tbs blacken seasoning
- 3 tbs chili powder
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese crumbles
- 1 4 oz bag tortilla strips
- Cook rice according to package. Set aside when finished and toss with cilantro, lime juice and zest.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, toss shrimp and blacken seasoning until shrimp are fully coated.
- Heat a 10” cast iron pan or non stick if you don’t have cast iron with olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Place shrimp in pan and cook 1-2 mins on each side. Set aside when finished.
- Bring a medium sized pot to a boil, add corn and cook for about 2 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain and mix with cotija cheese and chili powder. Set aside.
- Layer each container with rice, lettuce, corn, pickled onions, shrimp, sauce, and tortilla strips.
* Pack lettuce and tortilla strips separately to keep from getting soggy.
Check out more of my recipes here.