These Lucky Charm Vodka Jello Shots are a fun way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! Make them a day ahead and pull them out when you’re ready!
Easy Jello Shot Recipe
We are throwing back to memories of college nights with friends, themed parties, and more with this recipe!
And honestly, who doesn’t love a good jello shot?
These Lucky Charm Vodka Jello shots are the perfect recipe for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day…no matter how you plan on celebrating.
With that said, clear out some space in your refrigerator (I used this as an excuse to deep clean my fridge) so you’ll have plenty of room to store as many jello shots as your fridge will hold!
What are Jello Shots?
If you aren’t familiar with jello shots and what they are, they’re made up of Jell-O, water, and alcohol (typically vodka, but other hard liquors can be used).
Vodka Jello Shot Ingredients
Jell-O: for this Lucky Charm recipe I used green (lime) Jell-O powder! You can use another flavor of jello like green apple too.
Alcohol: you can use plain or flavored vodka. I really like how vanilla vodka tastes with lime.
Pro tip: if you don’t want to use vodka you can substitute it with any kind of alcohol, vodka is just the most common.
Wet ingredients: water and cooking spray.
Toppings: whipped cream and shamrock sprinkles.
Jello shot cups: these are the plastic shot cups I used!
How to make Vodka Jello Shots
1. Grease the plastic shot cups. Grease the inside of each plastic shot cup with cooking spray. This makes it easy for them to slide right out of the cup.
2. Boil the water. Heat 2 cups of water until boiling.
3. Mix in the Jell-O shot mixture. Pour the boiling water into a mixing bowl with the Jell-O powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved. Pour in the vodka and whisk.
Fill each shot cup with the Jell-O mixture and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm.
4. Decorate the Jell-O shots. Just before serving, top each Jell-O shot with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Questions you may have
How long does it take for jello shots to set?
It takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours for jello shots to set. You can put them in the freezer to set faster, but BE CAREFUL, this will only take about 20 minutes. You don’t want your Jell-O to freeze; frozen jello will ruin it.
How much alcohol can you put in Jello shots?
A typical recipe calls for 6oz – 8 oz of alcohol to make jello shots. However, if you are looking to make a stronger shot, you can do so with up to 14oz of alcohol.
Are Jello shots as strong as regular shots?
Yes. Jello shots can contain as much alcohol as a regular shot. Sometimes people don’t think so because they “can’t taste the alcohol” and that can actually be more dangerous.
I do not encourage anyone to drink more than 1 jello shot and, as always, please drink responsibly!
What kind of liquor is good for Jello shots?
Vodka is the most widely used for jello shots. However, you can use whatever you like best or have on hand!
If you are looking for a flavored substitution for this recipe, I really love vanilla.
Is rum or vodka better for Jello shots?
This is truly personal preference. Vodka is most commonly used, however, I know a number of people who prefer rum or flavored rum in their jello shots!
How long do jello shots last?
They will last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator. It’s possible for them to last longer, but if you want them at their best, try not to wait longer than 4 days.
WANT TO TRY THIS VODKA JELLO SHOT RECIPE?
PIN IT to your St. Patrick’d Day recipes or cocktail recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Lucky Charm Vodka Jello Shots
- Grease the inside of each plastic shot cup with cooking spray.
- Heat 2 cups of water until boiling.
- Pour the boiling water into a mixing bowl with the Jell-O powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved. Pour in the vodka and whisk. Fill each shot cup with the Jell-O mixture and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm.
- Just before serving, top each Jell-O shot with whipped cream and sprinkles.