A healthy spin on chicken parmesan Is here! This Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan recipe is everything we love about chicken parm, just healthier!
The chicken is juicy, the parmesan crust is crispy, and the calories are lower. This Air Fryer Chicken Parm is everything you’ve been craving, but better and I am here for it!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Recipe
I love a healthy dinner, but sometimes I really want that classic chicken parmesan. Who doesn’t love that super crispy crust packed with all the right flavors?
You know what I’m talking about, right? That restaurant quality chicken parm that is totally delicious but pretty unhealthy?
It’s tasty, it’s crave worthy, but also fried in a lot of oil.
Thanks to my handy-dandy air fryer, that has changed! Now I’m able to make the juiciest chicken with the crispiest parmesan crust in under 30 minutes.
You get all those classic flavors we know and love – minus the mess, oil, and calories. Air frying is my favorite method to make this dish!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
- chicken breasts
- Italian breadcrumbs
- parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce / tomato sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
*a full list of ingredients and measurements for this recipe can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Did you know: Chicken Parmigiana got its name from the region it originated from (Parma, Italy)! It actually has nothing to do with the type of cheese used. (who knew?!)
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
1. Preheat the air fryer to 360° F.
2. Prep the chicken. While the air fryer is preheating, place a sheet of parchment paper over the chicken and pound with a mallet until the chicken is of even thickness.
2. Bread the chicken. Crack the eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk until combined. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl.
Dredge the chicken in the egg, covering both sides, then dip into the breadcrumb mixture.
3. Cook the chicken. Lightly spritz with olive oil or cooking spray and place in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 6 minutes, flip the chicken and cook for 3-4 additional minutes.
Spoon the marinara over both pieces and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Garnish with fresh chopped basil and serve!
Pro-Tip: try making Chicken Parmesan Meatballs for your Sunday meal prep!
How Healthy is Healthy?
Chicken is one of my favorite meats because it’s a great lean source of protein.
Because this recipe is cooked in an air fryer instead of being drowned in oil, it’s significantly healthier than traditional chicken parmesan or anything deep fried.
If you’re looking to make this recipe a little healthier, you can swap out the breadcrumbs with a Keto breadcrumb substitution and add seasoning!
If you are new to air frying, check out my post on How to Use an Air Fryer!
Some Questions you Might Have
I don’t have Italian breadcrumbs, what do I do?
Add some Italian seasoning to panko or plain bread crumbs as a quick (and easy) substitute.
Can I use a different cheeses?
You can go the traditional route and use Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese. However, Provolone is another great option … or whatever other mild cheese you prefer.
What tomato sauce do you recommend?
For the best sauce, I recommend whipping up a homemade batch. However, if jar sauce is more your thing, I love this one.
Is buying an air fryer worth it?
Yes! They are totally worth it! If you follow me on Instagram, you will see I use mine more than I use my oven. I promise you it was worth every penny.
BONUS: They are energy efficient too!
What else can I cook in my air fryer?
Honestly, you can cook anything your heart desires in your air fryer…and I am not just saying that! You can make:
More Air Fryer Recipes To Try
If you try any of them, make sure you tag me in your posts on social media so I can share in your excitement!
- Buffalo Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Blackened Salmon Rice Bowls
WANT TO TRY THIS AIR FRYER CHICKEN PARMESAN RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, air fryer recipes, or Italian recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Air Fryer Parmesan Chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil, to garnish
- Preheat air fryer to 360° F.
- While the air fryer is preheating, place a sheet of parchment paper over the chicken and pound with a mallet until the chicken is an even thickness.
- Crack the eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk until combined. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken in the egg, covering both sides, then dip into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Lightly spritz with olive oil and place in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 6 minutes, flip and cook for 3-4 additional minutes. Spoon the marinara over both pieces and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Garnish with fresh chopped basil and serve!
I really need to break out my air fryer for more things, and this is the perfect inspiration! Thanks so much for a great recipe
Yum!! One of my favourite meals, and I was so excited to come across a recipe done in the air fryer. Worked a treat! Thank you!
Chicken parmesan was so delicious! Using the air-fryer reduced the amount of oil in it.
Simple ingredients and yet so yum. This is surely so easy to make and my family to relish it too. I love the Parmesan option. Delicious.
I absolutely love chicken parmesan and enjoy making it in my Air fryer. Your recipe was great!