Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are creamy and easy to make. Whether you’re looking for a foolproof Thanksgiving dinner side dish or a weeknight dinner side, this recipe will surely become a favorite.
The slow cooker is one of my favorite cooking appliances, next in line to my air fryer of course! I just love that you can throw ingredients in the slow cooker and walk away.
It truly makes the best mashed potatoes and this recipe is simple enough for any to make, even a beginner in the kitchen.
If you’re looking for more Thanksgiving side dishes, check out my Healthy Green Bean Casserole and my Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese. They are both SO yummy!
Skip the frozen or powdered mashed potatoes this holiday season and try this easy recipe! This is an extremely busy time of year in the kitchen with all of the holiday gatherings, so you might want to have this recipe handy for your holiday meals.
This slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe will save you time on Thanksgiving day by having your mashed potatoes cook while you prepare everything else.
Craving a less traditional mashed potatoes recipe? Try my Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. They are creamy and delicious, and make the perfect side dish for any hearty meal.
This slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe takes a traditional Thanksgiving side dish and makes it simple for anyone to make.
This slow cooker mashed potatoes recipes is extremely versatile too. You can add your favorite toppings and garnishes, such a sour cream, cheddar cheese, or chives and customize it however you like. Sometimes I top mine with crispy bacon!
Serve these mashed potatoes with Air Fryer Turkey Breast or Honey Balsamic Chicken.
Ingredients you will need
A few simple ingredients make the best slow cooker mashed potatoes you’ll ever have!
Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes are the best potatoes for this recipe, but you can use russet potatoes if you like. Yukon gold potatoes make mashed potatoes that are creamy, while russets will come out a bit softer. Red potatoes are too waxy to make good mashed potatoes so I don’t recommend using them.
Butter: this is essential in any mashed potato recipe to help the flavor and texture. You can use salted or unsalted butter or even vegan butter.
Chicken broth: adding chicken broth gives these potatoes rich flavor! Feel free to use vegetable broth as a substitute if needed.
Dill: I love adding fresh dill in mashed potatoes because it gives a fresh, earthy, yet slightly sweet flavor.
Garlic: fresh garlic is another important ingredient, making everything so savory. You can even roast it before adding for a sweeter, caramelized flavor.
Sour cream: the secret ingredient for the smoothest, most creamy mashed potatoes. Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream, as is cream cheese.
Milk: whole milk is a must for this recipe. Milk with less fat will make the mashed potatoes less creamy. You can use almond milk or dairy-free milk too if you need to. Heavy cream is another option if you want an even creamier texture.
Chives: chives make a great garnish for mashed potatoes. Green onions are a good option as well.
How to make slow cooker mashed potatoes
1. Prepare the slow cooker. Start the slow cooker on high heat and place the butter and chicken broth at the bottom, allowing it to melt while you peel and cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
2. Cook the potatoes. Add the chopped potatoes to the slow cooker, top with garlic and dill, then cover and cook for 3-4 hours or until the potatoes are soft and you are able to easily mash them with a fork. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes.
3. Mash the potatoes. Once the potatoes are soft enough, add sour cream and milk. Mash the potatoes using a handheld electric mixer or potato masher directly in the slow cooker.
4. Serve the potatoes. Add more milk until you get your desired texture. Season with salt and pepper, top with chives and serve.
Can you put uncooked potatoes in the slow cooker?
Yes! The slow cooker will cook the raw potatoes perfectly. Just make sure to peel and chop the potatoes into 1-inch cubes before placing them in the slow cooker and allow them to cook for 3-4 hours on low.
How long can you keep mashed potatoes in the slow cooker?
You can keep mashed potatoes in the slow cooker on the warm setting for up to four hours without a noticeable change in texture and flavor.
If you need to keep them in the slow cooker for longer than four hours, you may notice a change in color and the mashed potatoes may harden. Add more milk to liven them up and make them creamy once again.
How to keep mashed potatoes warm in the slow cooker
The benefit of using a slow cooker is that you can keep food warm while preparing other components of a meal for a while.
Keep the slow cooker on the warm setting as long as you need. Should the mashed potatoes harden, add more milk as stated above.
WANT TO TRY THIS SLOW COOKER MASHED POTATOES RECIPE?
PIN IT to your mashed potatoes recipes, side dish recipes, or holiday recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- chives, for garnish
- Start your slow cooker on high heat and place butter and chicken broth in the bottom. Allow it to start melting while you chop your potatoes.
- Add potatoes and top with garlic and dill. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high heat. The cook time will vary greatly depending on the size you cut your potatoes. Cook until soft and easily mashed with a fork.
- When soft, add sour cream and milk. Then using an electric hand mixer directly into the slow cooker pot, mash the potatoes.
- Add more milk if texture is still too thick. Season with salt and pepper, top with chives and serve!
- I like to stir in an additional 3 tbsps of butter right after mashing the potatoes.
I had never thought to add chicken broth to mashed potato and it works so well! Came out lovely and creamy and really nice consistency.
Sisley White - Sew White
I had no idea you could do mash potatoes in the slow cooker. Game changer for easy ways to cook.
This is such an easy recipe for mashed potatoes! I’m glad to have some “set and forget” sides that I can make for Thanksgiving dinner this week!
Any easy recipe. Great way to free up the stove and let the slow cooker do all of the work for you.
Just in time for Thanksgiving! These looks so creamy and delicious. Can’t wait to try this method!
I’m going to make this tomorrow looks so good. Do you you cook on the low temp or the high temp? Thanks and can’t wait to try it.
Hi! I cook the potatoes on high until they are easy to pierce with a fork.
This was delicious, will definitely be making it again!