Let your slow cooker make dinner tonight! This Steak Fajitas Recipe comes together quickly and tastes as good as your favorite restaurant.
Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas are easy to make and something the whole family can enjoy. They require minimal prep and the slow cooker will do most of the work for you!
If you enjoy this recipe, you are going to LOVE my Crispy Crockpot Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)!
Steak Fajita Recipe
Slow Cooker Fajitas are the perfect way to enjoy a restaurant quality dinner without the price tag…or all the work!
One of my favorite things about a slow cooker dinner is dumping it in and walking away until dinner is ready.
But why slow cook the steak? Cooking your steak fajitas in a slow cooker allows the steak to slowly soak up all the flavors for hours. You will be so happy you did because they will come out so juicy!
If you are having a busy weeknight, cooking for a crowd, looking to meal prep…or just looking for a great dinner minus the effort, then this fajita recipe is for you.
Steak Fajita Ingredients
With just a handful of pantry staple ingredients and fresh ingredients, you can whip up the most incredible (and juicy) steak fajitas!
For The Fajitas
Meat: To make true steak fajitas you will need skirt steak.
From the garden: Bell peppers, white onion, garlic cloves, and fresh cilantro.
The bell peppers can be any color, you don’t have to stick to just one! In fact, mixing colors can bring a lot of beauty to the dish.
For The Steak Marinade
This is where all those incredible flavors we know and love come into play with this dish.
For cooking: Olive oil
How to Make Slow Cooker Fajita’s
1. Marinate the steak. Combine all the steak marinade ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Marinate the steak for 30 minutes.
2. Cook the fajitas. Place the peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro, and marinated steak (with the marinade) in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
3. Broil the steak. Transfer the steak from the slow cooker to a sheet pan and broil for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to char. Slice thinly and return to the slow cooker to toss in the juices.
4. Serve the fajitas. Serve the fajitas over warm tortillas or over rice.
The Best Steak for Fajitas
I recommend using skirt steak, but you do have other options! Because this is a slow cooker recipe, you can use less expensive cuts of steak and get the same great results.
- Sirloin Steak
- Flank Steak
- Round Steak
- London Broil
What to Serve with your Fajitas
Looking to pair your fajitas with a great side? I love turning fajitas into a whole meal or Mexican night in with:
Looking to top your fajitas with something a little different? Check out my Cilantro Lime Crema for the perfect drizzle on top!
Questions you may have
Slow cooking your meat is super important if you are looking to avoid chewy meat.
When you cook your meat slow and low it allows the meat to soak in all the flavors and come out super tender, juicy, and melt in your mouth perfect!
Taco seasoning and fajita seasoning are actually quite similar, but there are some differences.
Fajita seasoning has garlic powder and onion powder and taco seasoning does not. Taco seasoning also has something fajita season doesn’t not and that is ground coriander.
Albeit very similar in ingredients and flavor, there is a difference between the two.
Carne asada and fajitas are both thinly sliced beef and have both been marinated. However, the main difference is carne asada is not served with grilled onions and peppers.
There are 2 reasons why your fajita meat may be tough…
1. You cooked the meat at too high of a temperature and too fast.
2. You may have cut your meat incorrectly.
For tender meat, make sure to cut your fajitas across the grain.
The marinade! You do not want to skip out on steak fajitas marinade; this adds more flavor and makes it super tender.
I know what you are thinking, “how does that work?” The acid in the marinade breaks down the muscle and proteins in the meat before cooking leaving you with super tender and juicy fajitas!
You can also salt your steak with kosher salt the night before placing it in the marinade to tenderize it even more.
More Easy Dinner Recipes To Try
- Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Tater Tot Nachos
- Seared Scallops
WANT TO TRY THIS SLOW COOKER STEAK FAJITAS RECIPE?
PIN IT to your steak recipes, slow cooker recipes, or easy dinner recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas
- 1.5 pounds skirt steak
- 4 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine all the steak marinade ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Marinate the steak for 30 minutes.
- Place the peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro, and marinated steak (with the marinade) in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Transfer the steak from the slow cooker to a sheet pan and broil for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to char. Slice thinly and return to the slow cooker to toss in the juices.
- Serve the fajitas over warm tortillas or over rice.