A low-carb spin to the viral TikTok Tomato Feta Pasta; and it’s so good! This Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe will be your new weeknight go-to.
Say hello to creamy feta cheese, oven-roasted tomatoes, and delicious spices mixed with spaghetti squash! Low-carb dinners have never tasted so good…no one will even know they are eating healthy.
It’s one of my new favorite baked spaghetti squash recipes.
Looking for more tasty low-carb dinners? Check out my Basil Pesto Chicken and Filet Mignon recipe next!
Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe
If you’re on TikTok, you have seen the very viral Tomato and Feta Pasta making waves across the internet, and if you’ve been following me for a while, you probably know how much I enjoy spaghetti squash!
When I saw the Tomato and Feta Pasta trend, I knew I had to put my own spin on the recipe and make something delicious, filled with flavor, but also a little healthier.
This baked spaghetti squash recipe is so good, you won’t even miss the pasta.
Add some protein (chicken or shrimp) to the dish to make this a hearty (and extra delicious) meal!
Baked Spaghetti Squash Ingredients
Spaghetti squash: in order to make this recipe low-carb, I ditched the pasta and used spaghetti squash instead. I recommend using 1 large squash, if you can, if not, 2 small will do!
From the garden: one thing I love about this recipe is the number of fresh ingredients you can grab from your backyard, hydroponic planter…or the grocery store! For this recipe, you will need: tomatoes, cremini/baby bello mushrooms, basil, and garlic.
Dairy: I love feta and highly recommend it for this recipe. If you can’t find feta and are looking for a good substitute, I recommend Boursin cheese or goat cheese.
Other ingredients: red pepper flakes, olive oil, lemon juice.
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below.
How to Make Baked Spaghetti Squash
1. Cook the spaghetti squash. Preheat the oven and poke holes in the spaghetti squash with a knife. Pop it in the microwave for a few minutes, then slice in half horizontally (the short way) and remove the seeds.
Place the spaghetti squash, cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet with a splash of water. Roast it on the top rack for 20-30 minutes or until the strands are just cooked enough to pull from the shell.
2. Roast the vegetables. While the squash is roasting, place the feta cheese in the middle of an 8X12 baking dish. Arrange the tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic around the cheese.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with red pepper flakes, black pepper, and half the fresh basil. Place the baking dish on the bottom rack of the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bursting and the feta is golden on top. Add the remaining basil and mix.
3. Mix together. When the squash is finished, pull the strands with a fork and place them in the baking dish with the feta cheese and vegetables. Mix until fully combined. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and garnish with more fresh basil if you like.
Did you know you can also cook spaghetti squash in the microwave if you’re short on time? I always heat it up in the microwave first so it’s easier to slice, but sometimes I’ll just cook the whole thing in there!
How do you know when Spaghetti Squash is done baking?
If you have never baked spaghetti squash before, checking for doneness might be a concern. However, it’s pretty easy to check on your squash.
When it comes time to see if your spaghetti squash is done or not, flip one half over. Grab a fork and run it down the top edge. You will know your squash is done cooking when the fork is easily shredding the squash making it look like spaghetti strands.
Be careful not to cook it into mush! If it’s light yellow, it’s not done yet, if it’s almost orange and very soft, you’ll know you’ve overcooked it. You want to hit that sweet spot right in between, and once you’ve made spaghetti squash a few times, you’ll have it down pat.
What to Serve with Baked Spaghetti Squash
Because this baked spaghetti squash is a meal in itself, you really don’t need a side dish. However, if you are are looking for added flavors, hosting a party, or just want options on the dinner table, I suggest:
- Add protein to the dish like chicken or shrimp
- Salmon Cakes With Lemon Dill Sauce
- Light and fresh salad
Questions You Might Have
No one wants to eat mushy or soupy spaghetti squash for dinner. You can salt your spaghetti squash to draw out the moisture, and less moisture means no mushy “noodles.”
Yes! Like anything, you can overcook and/or burn your squash. Because spaghetti squash varies in sizes, you are going to want to keep a close eye on it while cooking.
If you over cook the squash, you will end up with mushy spaghetti as opposed to an immitation noodle.
Spaghetti squash is a vegetable rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It’s also a low calorie food high fiber. If you are health conscious, it is a great low-carb substitute/alternative to pasta.
If you’re counting, spaghetti squash is much lower in calories than pasta. For example, 1-cup of cooked spaghetti squash has about 42 calories and 1 cup of cooked pasta has about 221 calories.
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
- BBQ Shrimp Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Taco Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Low Carb Seared Scallops And Spaghetti Squash Recipe
More Healthy Dinner Recipes You Might Like
WANT TO TRY THIS BAKED SPAGHETTI SQUASH RECIPE?
PIN IT to your spaghetti squash recipes, dinner recipes, or vegetarian recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Tomato Feta Baked Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash, or two small ones
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Poke holes in spaghetti squash with a knife and microwave for 5 minutes, then slice in half horizontally (the short way) and remove the seeds. Place the spaghetti squash, cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons of water. Roast spaghetti squash on top rack for 20-30 minutes or until strands are just cooked enough to pull from the shell.
- While the squash is roasting, place the feta cheese in the middle of an 8X12 baking dish. Arrange the tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic around the cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and season with red pepper flakes, black pepper, and half the fresh basil. Place the baking dish on the bottom rack of the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bursting and the feta is golden on top. Add the remaining basil and mix.
- When the squash is finished, pull the strands with a fork and place them in the baking dish with the feta cheese and vegetables. Mix until fully combined. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and garnish with more fresh basil if you like.
This was very refreshing and delicious. Next time I would add a protein , maybe shrimp.
Thank you Kathy! It’s delicious with chicken 🙂
Oh wow! This recipe is so delicious and very tasty! Such a quick and easy recipe for dinner! We absolutely loved this recipe! Making this again for sure!
I love this healthier twist on that viral Tik Tok recipe!! It turned out great – super satisfying and so tasty that even my kids gobbled it up!
This is fantastic! So kid friendly and a great way to get the veges in without all the fuss!
Nice twist on the Tiktok hack. I bet it tastes fabulous.
Awesome! This was so good! Would definitely try this, again!
Can this be made in advance?
Hi! It sure can. I recommend reheating it in the oven covered with foil at about 325 until warm but I’ve also reheated it in the microwave and loved it. You will notice a little bit of liquid at the bottom after you reheat it but if you serve it with a slotted spoon you should be able to keep that from getting on the plate 🙂
Using spaghetti squash in the tik tok pasta recipe occurred to me as well. I was looking for spaghetti squash recipes when I found this one. Delicious!!
Thank you so much!
This was delicious. Definitely liked olives with it. Feta was perfect
I couldn’t find block feta cheese so I had to get the crumbled kind…will that still work the same way?
Feta in block form is usually higher quality and more flavorful than the pre-crumbled feta but it should still work just fine!
What’s the serving size?
Roughly 1.5 cups