Basil Pesto Chicken is a low-calorie keto dinner you can make in one pan on a busy weeknight with just three ingredients. Who knew low carb, gluten-free eating could taste this scrumptious?
With the robust flavor of basil pesto, tender and juicy chicken, and a hint of dijon, this 3-ingredient dinner is about to be your new favorite go-to recipe. Whether you are cutting carbs or just looking for a quick solution for busy weeknights, this easy meal is calling your name!
Easy Pesto Chicken Recipe
Tis’ the season…to grow basil! If you have a green thumb, you know spring has sprung and everyone is getting ready to plant and watch their gardens grow.
With fresh basil thriving in the garden (and in stores), you will need a recipe, and this chicken recipe is calling your name!
Basil Pesto Chicken Recipe checks all the boxes you might ever need in a recipe. This chicken recipe is:
- A healthy lunch and dinner recipe
- Low carb and low calorie
- Gluten free
- Keto friendly
Basil Pesto Chicken Ingredients
This irresistible chicken comes together with only three ingredients!
From the garden (or the store): I used store bought basil pesto. However, if you want to make your own, you might enjoy this Basil Mint Pesto.
Poultry: I used chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken tenders if you prefer.
Wet ingredients: my secret ingredient; it adds a punch of incredible flavor to the dish is: dijon mustard.
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below
How to Make Basil Pesto Chicken
Now that we have our three ingredients, lets knock out these three simple steps!
1. Prepare the pesto marinade. In a large bowl, combine the basil pesto and dijon mustard.
2. Marinate the chicken. Add the cubed chicken to the bowl, toss to coat, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
The longer you let the chicken marinate, the better the flavor!
3. Cook the chicken. About 15 minutes before you’re ready to cook the chicken, remove it from the refrigerator and uncover it. Preheat the oven to 400° F and arrange the chicken on a baking sheet in a single layer. Cook the chicken for 12-15 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 165° F.
Make it a Low-Carb Dinner
Looking to make this tasty chicken a full meal and keep it healthy? Serve your Basil Pesto Chicken with my Easy Sauteed Green Beans With Garlic And Lemon!
Looking for something not so low-carb? My Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes are truly heaven in a dish!
Try switching things up by swapping the chicken for steak! It’s also delicious with basil pesto.
That Meal Prep Mentality
Some people just make it look so easy, right? Trust me, we’ve all been there…in the kitchen meal prepping for the week and somehow every dish you own is dirty.
That’s me. I own that.
However, this pesto chicken is super easy to meal prep. Whether it’s for the week or the weekend, this easy chicken recipe can be doubled or even tripled. You can quickly reheated for lunch, dinner, or a quick protein filled snack!
Questions You Might Have
I love chicken because you can pair it with so many different things!
I recommend: mashed potatoes, rice, roasted yellow squash, green beans, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, and really any favorite side dish!
Yes! Pesto must be kept in the fridge. Once open, pesto will last for about 2-3 weeks. If you are looking for long-term, I like to freeze my pesto in small portions using an ice cube tray and only pull out what I need.
Some pesto has cheese and other brands do not. Pesto with cheese (like Parmigiano) is so tasty! However, those with dairy sensitivities may not think the same. Always check the label to see if the brand you are buying has any cheese in the mix!
If you’re making your own pesto, you can always make it dairy free to meet your dietary preferences.
More Chicken Recipes You Might Like
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad
- Chicken Shawarma Bowls
- Simple Chicken Pho
- Creamy Chicken And Rice
- 5 Spice Perfect Air Fryer Chicken
WANT TO TRY THIS BASIL PESTO CHICKEN RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, dinner recipes, or meal prep recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Basil Pesto Chicken
- 1 cup basil pesto
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the basil pesto and dijon mustard.
- Add the cubed chicken to the bowl, toss to coat, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before you're ready to cook the chicken, remove it from the refrigerator and uncover. Preheat the oven to 400° F and arrange the chicken on a baking sheet in a single layer. Cook the chicken for 12-15 minutes or until internal temperature has reached 165° F.