If dips are your guilty pleasure, but you’re looking for something a little healthier, this Whipped Cottage Cheese Dip recipe is just that! It’s a flavorful charred scallion dip perfect for chips and veggies.
If you’re wanting to serve this for guests who might not be a fan of cottage cheese, I promise they won’t even know they’re eating cottage cheese when you serve them this creamy cottage cheese dip! Whipping cottage cheese makes it a totally different experience and they’ll be claiming this as their new favorite dip.
Whipped Cottage Cheese Dip Recipe
There are many variations of homemade cottage cheese dip recipes out there, but this one is fresh, light, and creamy with a hint of citrus — it’s the perfect summer appetizer or after-school snack. This is a trendy dish you don’t want to miss out on!
This high-protein dip is by far my favorite appetizer because it can be made all year round! It’s an easy recipe you can throw together quickly before any gathering or to serve alongside your favorite game day dips!
Lemon zest and orange juice give this easy cottage cheese dip recipe a true burst of flavor. You can prepare this creamy dip for your next brunch or BBQ.
Ingredients You Will Need
This delicious dip comes together with a few simple ingredients:
Scallions: they get charred and then added to the dip for a sweet yet smoky flavor. It will create long-lasting flavor in every bite.
Fresh dill: adds a fresh and herbaceous flavor, enhancing the overall taste. It’s slightly sweet and tangy, with subtle notes of anise and citrus. Fresh dill pairs perfectly with cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, or cream cheese. You can use other fresh herbs like fresh basil, oregano, or fresh parsley.
Citrus: lemon & orange juice keeps this dip fresh, light, and filled with summer flavors. The juice from the orange isn’t overpowering, but gives the dip a flavor that makes you say “ohh what’s that?!”.
Cottage cheese: the main ingredient is the perfect base as its mild flavors scream for other ingredients to join the party. It’s also a healthier alternative to other popular dip bases like whipped feta, whipped cream cheese, or sour cream.
Is scallion an onion?
Scallions, also referred to as green onions, spring onions, or bunching onions, are a variety of onions. However, scallions are different from regular bulb onions as they are harvested at an early stage before the bulb fully develops.
While scallions work best as a garnish, they can sometimes be substituted for onions in certain recipes.
What is cottage cheese?
Cottage cheese is a velvety and mild-tasting fresh cheese, renowned for its soft and creamy texture. It’s often described as a curdled milk cheese product because it’s made from milk by draining the curds.
The term “cottage cheese” originated from its traditional production in cottages and small homes from leftover milk prior to the widespread commercial dairy industry.
Cottage cheese nutrition
Cottage cheese has gained popularity among health-conscious individuals and those seeking a protein-rich addition to their diet due to its high protein content and relatively low-calorie count.
One half of a cup of low-fat (2%) plain cottage cheese contains around 90 calories, 5 grams of carbohydrates, 12 grams of protein, and 2.5 grams of total fat.
How To Make This Cottage Cheese Dip
- Prepare the scallions. Slice the scallions (including the white parts) and set a few of them aside to char. Place the finely chopped scallions in a medium bowl with the dill, lemon juice and zest, orange juice, and salt.
- Char the scallions. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining scallions and sear, flipping occasionally, until they begin to char, about 4 to 5 minutes. When finished, place the charred scallions on a cutting board to cool before roughly chopping.
- Whip the cottage cheese. Place the cottage cheese in a food processor and blend on high until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Prepare the dip. Mix the whipped cottage cheese with the scallion mixture. Then add the charred scallions, garlic powder, and onion powder. You can throw in some black pepper too if you like! Mix until fully combined, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve. This dip pairs perfectly with your favorite potato chips, crackers, or even pita bread.
How to store cottage cheese dip
If you have leftover dip, you can place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you notice a little liquid forming on the top, you can either mix it in on drain it in the sink.
What’s the difference between a scallion and a green onion?
Scallions and green onions are the same thing! The only difference is how they are labeled at the grocery store.
They are harvested at a young age if they are from the bulb-forming onions, or they can come from other varieties that actually do not form bulbs.
What to dip in cottage cheese dip?
The possibilities are endless! I suggest dipping your favorite chips, fresh veggies (like celery, carrots, or broccoli), and even your favorite crackers.
Does honey taste good in cottage cheese?
Honey adds a pop of sweetness to the usual mild taste of cottage cheese. I love adding honey on top of a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit and a drizzle of olive oil for breakfast.
What fruit goes with cottage cheese?
The delightful combinations of fruit and cottage cheese make for a perfect snack, breakfast, or healthy dessert. My personal favorite combination is peaches and whipped cottage cheese but I also love it with apples, strawberries, and pineapples.
What vegetable goes good with cottage cheese?
Cottage cheese is incredibly versatile, making it a perfect appetizer for various vegetables in a dip. Some of my personal favorites are cucumbers, carrots, celery, and even bell peppers. These crunchy and flavorful pairings make for a delicious and nutritious treat!
More of my favorite recipes
WANT TO TRY THIS WHIPPED COTTAGE CHEESE DIP RECIPE?
PIN IT to your dip recipes, cottage cheese recipes, or healthy recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Whipped Cottage Cheese Dip
- Slice 12 scallions into thirds (including the white parts). Set 9 of the scallions aside to char and finely chop the remaining 2. Place the finely chopped scallions in a medium bowl with the dill, lemon juice and zest, orange juice, and salt.
- Heat a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining scallions and sear, flipping occasionally, until they begin to char, about 4 to 5 minutes. When finished, place the charred scallions on a cutting board to cool before roughly chopping.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dip. Place the cottage cheese in a food processor and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Mix the whipped cottage cheese with the scallion mixture. Then add charred scallions, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix until fully combined, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve the dip with potato chips or crackers.