Fried Chicken Without Flour is crispy on the outside juicy on the inside, and only takes 20 minutes in the air fryer to make. Great for game nights or tailgate parties, this chicken recipe will be your go-to for an easy appetizer or meal.
Fried Chicken Without Flour Recipe
Crispy fried chicken doesn’t always have to be deep-fried and covered in oil; this healthier fried chicken recipe will have you coming back for more.
There are so many different ways to make delicious fried chicken, but the best way is in the air fryer. It’s great to make on a busy weeknight, uses simple ingredients, and is easy to clean up…and you don’t have to worry about what to do with the fryer oil when you’re done!
What do I need to make flourless fried chicken?
Chicken breasts: I used boneless and skinless chicken breast because I prefer white meat, but you can also use chicken thighs for this recipe if you prefer dark meat.
Note: using chicken with the skin on will result in crispier chicken but it will be higher in calories.
Seasoning: you will need onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Using garlic powder in your fried chicken without flour recipe will give your chicken crust a delicious savory flavor. I recommend only using garlic powder in the mix because it will blend well; using minced garlic will not mix evenly and can burn.
Baking powder: brings the water in your chicken to the surface, allowing it to evaporate or be absorbed by the cornstarch, which leads to light, airy chicken. Be sure to use baking powder and not baking soda. You will not get the same results using baking soda.
Cornstarch: this will help absorb any excess water, which leaves your chicken to be crunchy and crispy.
Olive oil spray: I use olive oil spray for this recipe to help keep the chicken from sticking to the basket and to keep it from drying out while cooking.
How do I make crispy fried chicken without flour?
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 F.
- Season the chicken. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and sprinkle each piece of chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, salt, baking powder, and cornstarch over the chicken until evenly coated on both sides.
- Air fry the chicken. Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and spritz the chicken with olive oil spray. Air fry the chicken for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve. Move the cooked chicken onto a cooking rack, and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter with a side of green beans (or vegetable of your choice) and lemon wedges.
Is it bad to fry chicken without flour?
No, it isn’t bad to fry your chicken without regular flour because there are so many other options out there. It does result in a different texture in flavor, however.
For this recipe, using baking powder and cornstarch will mimic the texture of using flour to fry your chicken. Using these ingredients will also help you achieve the perfect golden brown fried chicken color.
What can I use for frying chicken without flour?
Instead of using flour when frying your chicken, you can use:
- Cornstarch: can be used as a coating for frying chicken and is a popular alternative to flour. It helps create a crispy exterior and can result in a lighter texture compared to flour. Cornstarch also absorbs less oil when deep frying, which can lead to a less greasy finished product.
- Cornmeal: can provide a crispy texture and a slightly grainier coating. It works well for creating a crunchy exterior on fried chicken.
- Panko breadcrumbs: are light and airy, resulting in a crispy texture. They adhere well to the chicken and can create a golden-brown crust when fried.
- Crushed crackers or cereal: can add flavor and texture to the fried chicken. Choose options like saltine crackers, cornflakes, or breadcrumbs made from crackers.
- Ground nuts: such as almonds, pecans, or peanuts, can be used to coat the chicken. They add a unique flavor and a crunchy texture to the fried chicken.
Can I use cornstarch to fry chicken instead of flour?
Yes. If you’re not using flour for fried chicken, I recommend using cornstarch. Cornstarch is great for making your chicken skin crispy and golden brown. When deep frying, it doesn’t absorb as much oil as flour does, so your chicken will not be super greasy.
When using cornstarch as a coating, it’s recommended to combine it with other ingredients such as egg or buttermilk to help it adhere to the chicken. This combination helps create a crispy and flavorful crust when fried.
Can I deep fry this chicken?
You can definitely deep fry chicken without flour. If you want to use oil for deep-fried chicken, there are several different cooking oils with a high smoke point you can use, like canola oil, vegetable oil, or peanut oil.
You can either use a deep fryer, a large pot, or a large cast-iron skillet if you want to pan fry the chicken. You will also need a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your chicken. You’ll know it’s fully cooked once it reaches 165 degrees F.
Take your pieces of chicken out of your hot oil, transfer them to a plate with paper towels to soak up all of the excess oil, and then place them on a wire rack so your chicken can cool and will stay crispy.
How do I store leftover fried chicken?
Before storing, make sure to let your fried chicken cool completely. This will help maintain its texture and crispness. Then, place your room-temperature crispy chicken into an airtight container, ziploc bag, or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. It will start to lose its crispiness over time, so be sure to eat it within three days of cooking it.
How to reheat your leftover flourless fried chicken
Preheat your air fryer to about 325 degrees F, then place your chicken in the basket for around five to seven minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces, or until they’re heated through. I prefer to use my air fryer because it helps crisp the chicken back up.
What to serve with fried chicken
- Easy Sautéed Green Beans
- Cranberry Quinoa Salad
- Brussel Sprouts With Bacon
- Roasted Yellow Squash
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
More easy chicken recipes
WANT TO TRY THIS FRIED CHICKEN WITHOUT FLOUR RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, dinner recipes, or air fryer chicken recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Fried Chicken Without Flour
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 F.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet and sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, salt, baking powder, and cornstarch over the chicken until evenly coated on both sides.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and spray the chicken with olive oil spray. Air fry the chicken for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Move the cooked chicken onto a cooking rack, and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving. For serving, place the chicken on a serving platter and with a side of green beans (or vegetable of your choice) and lemon wedges.