With New Years quickly approaching, many of us are looking to shape up our diets by incorporating healthier alternatives to the foods we crave most. I’m helping you get started with a 15 minute healthy meal.
Pizza is one of my favorite childhood memories. I remember getting so excited for “pizza night” aka any night with a babysitter as a kid. I still love pizza (who doesn’t?) but while searching for a healthier alternative to on of my favorite foods, I discovered pita crusts! And so, 15 Minute Healthy Pita Pizzas were born!
Most of us love a thin, crispy crust…unless you’re a deep dish Chicago native. I really don’t get those people. If you love a thin crust pizza as much as I do, you’ll love these healthy pita pizzas. Using pita bread sliced in half and toasted creates the PERFECT thin crust.
Lately I’ve been so busy between work, the holidays, and my social life that I am all about 15 minute dinners like these Healthy Pita Pizzas and these 15 Minute Pork Chops. Being able to throw a fabulous dinner together in under 30 minutes is a lifesaver!
These pita pizzas are the perfect alternative to everyone’s favorite go-to. A lemon herb hummus serves as the “sauce”, which brings a tangy yet savory flavor to each bite. Hummus is high in fiber and filling, so you will most definitely be satisfied.
Of course I placed the hummus on my custom board from Words With Boards! You can get one with your name, too. They make the best gifts!
This recipe yields two servings, about three pita pizzas per serving. They save well so you can bring the leftovers to the office for lunch!
15 Minute Veggie Pita Pizzas
- 6 whole wheat pitas
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 12 oz regular hummus
- 1 cup red onion, vertically sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 2 cups kale
- 1 8oz pack of baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Split each pita in half horizontally and place on baking sheet. Broil for two minutes or until toasted. This happens fast, so make sure you’re checking on them!
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine hummus, lemon juice and zest, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste over medium-high heat. Sauté mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions for one minute, then add kale—working in batches until wilted.
- Spread hummus on each pita slice and top with kale and mushroom mixture, and feta cheese crumbles. Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired.