Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes are incredibly light, easy to mash, super fluffy, and have super crispy skin!
This Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato Recipe is ready in far less time than oven baked sweet potatoes. Using the air fryer will also free up your oven to make something else!
Baked Sweet Potato in Air Fryer is just the best!
There is nothing better than a perfectly cooked sweet potato lathered in butter, cinnamon and a touch of salt!
If you love sweet potatoes, you’re going to love this recipe. However, if you are on the fence with sweet potatoes, they are an easy and delicious addition to your diet. Sweet potatoes are considered a super food packed with a ton of Vitamin C and Fiber.
Not to mention, they are super versatile, whether you air fry them or roast them for a Roasted Sweet Potato Bowl, they are delicious!
Sweet Potato Air Fryer ingredients
- Sweet potatoes: for this recipe, I recommend using smaller sweet potatoes. If using a larger sweet potato, you will need to adjust the cook time. I recommend extending the time in 5 minute increments and checking on it until finished.
- Olive oil: rubbing a little olive oil on the skin of the potato helps get it nice and crisp, like a potato chip!
- Seasoning: load up your baked sweet potato with kosher salt, unsalted butter, and cinnamon.
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below.
How to cook Sweet Potatoes in Air Fryer
1. Preheat the air fryer to 390° F.
2. Prepare the potatoes. Using a fork, poke holes all around the sweet potato. Brush a thin layer of olive oil all around the sweet potatoes and sprinkle with salt.
3. Air fry sweet potatoes. Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket at cook for 30-35 minutes, or until fork-tender.
If you want your potatoes to have a soft outside, turn off the air fryer and leave the potatoes in the closed basket for 2-3 minutes. If you like the skin crispy, remove the potatoes as soon as they are finished cooking.
4. Serve. Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and slice open by making a horizontal and vertical slice (like a plus sign). Then use your fork to mash and open the sweet potato. Add a cube of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon before serving.
Looking for another delicious air fryer sweet potato recipe? Check out my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries next.
How long to cook Sweet Potatoes in Air Fryer
When air frying a sweet potato, you will want to ensure your air fryer is set to 390 F. Now, based on the size of the potato, that may impact the cook time.
For 3 small sweet potatoes, I cooked them in the air fryer basket for 30-35 minutes and then let them sit for 2-3 minutes when they were done before removing them.
If you use bigger potatoes, you may need to add time and work in batches based on how big your air fryer is.
What temperature should baked sweet potatoes be?
Once you have finished air frying your potatoes and let them rest, make sure to check there internal temperature before serving to ensure they are cooked!
I start by grabbing a fork and poking the potato to ensure the inside if soft. If it is not soft, that is a quick way to know you will need to cook it for longer.
If your potato is soft, grab a food thermometer and poke it into the center of the potato. You will know your potato is done when its internal temperature reaches 205 – 212 F.
How do I preheat my air fryer?
Depending on the model air fryer you have, pre-heating instructions may vary.
Most newer air fryer models have preheat setting. Alternatively, turn the air fryer on and set it to your desired temperature for cooking. Allow it to run for 5 minutes before adding food to the basket.
The best way to ensure you are pre-heating your particular air fryer correctly is to check the manual of the model you own.
Don’t own an air fryer yet? Check out my post on the best air fryer to buy.
How to serve this Sweet Potato Air Fryer Recipe
- Serve these whole sweet potatoes with a small square of butter (you can use vegan butter too) and let it melt before gently mashing the flesh of the potato with a fork.
- These potatoes are delicious served alongside Chicken Spanakopita, Chimichurri Filet, or Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad.
Air Fry Sweet Potato storage
- If you have any leftovers, you can peel the sweet potato skin off and mash the insides before placing in an airtight container.
- You can also place the whole sweet potato in a shallow airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just make sure the potatoes are cooled completely before storing.
- To reheat them, place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 F for 20-25 minutes or in the air fryer at 325 F for 10-15 minutes, until they are heated through.
Sweet Potatoes Air Fryer FAQs
Soaking sweet potatoes before cooking with them is a widely debated topic. Some people say no while many others say it is a crucial step.
Air fryer baked potatoes do not need to be soaked, but definitely wash them and scrub using a potato brush to remove any dirt.
If you’re making sweet potato fries or air fryer cubed potatoes, you might want to consider soaking them in cold water after cutting and slicing to remove some starch. This will make your potatoes even crispier.
Yes, in most cases you can put foil in the air fryer. I recommend poking holes in it to allow for airflow.
Sometimes being able to use foil in the air fryer depends on the make/model of your air fryer along with the food you are cooking.
I recommend grabbing your manual and double checking that it is safe and/or recommended for your particular air fryer.
– This happens because of a little chemistry experiment going on between the iron in the sweet potato and its natural organic acids as they cook.
– Those spots on your sweet potatoes might look a bit funky, but no worries, they’re harmless. However, here’s the kicker – they can shake up the flavor in those areas and make them a tad bitter.
– An easy way to prevent your sweet potatoes from turning black in the air fryer is to continue spritzing them with oil throughout the cooking process and turn them several times while cooking.
If you can use foil in your air fryer, make sure it is not cutting off or restricting air flow. If it does, you won’t get the results you are looking for and it can be dangerous!
WANT TO TRY THIS AIR FRYER BAKED POTATO RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, dinner recipes, or pesto recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Sweet Potatoes Air Fryer Recipe
- Preheat the air fryer to 390° F.
- Using a fork, poke holes all around the sweet potato. Brush a thin layer of olive oil all around the sweet potatoes and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket at cook for 30-35 minutes, or until fork tender. If you want your potatoes to have a soft outside, turn off the air fryer and leave the potatoes in the closed basket for 2-3 minutes. If you like the skin crispy, remove the potatoes as soon as they are finished cooking.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and slice open by making a horizontal and vertical slice (like a plus sign). Then use your fork to mash and open the sweet potato. Add a cube of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon before serving.