Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes are incredibly light, easy to mash, super fluffy, and have super crispy skin!
This Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato Recipe is ready in far less time than oven baked sweet potatoes. Using the air fryer will also free up your oven to make something else!
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
There is nothing better than a perfectly cooked sweet potato lathered in butter, cinnamon and a touch of salt!
If you love sweet potatoes, you’re going to love this recipe. However, if you are on the fence with sweet potatoes, they are an easy and delicious addition to your diet. Sweet potatoes are considered a super food packed with a ton of Vitamin C and Fiber.
Not to mention, they are super versatile, whether you air fry them or roast them for a Roasted Sweet Potato Bowl, they are delicious!
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato Ingredients
Sweet potatoes: for this recipe, I recommend using smaller sweet potatoes. If using a larger sweet potato, you will need to adjust the cook time. I recommend extending the time in 5 minute increments and checking on it until finished.
Olive oil: rubbing a little olive oil on the skin of the potato helps get it nice and crisp, like a potato chip!
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below.
How to Make Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatos
1. Preheat the air fryer to 390° F.
2. Prepare the potatoes. Using a fork, poke holes all around the sweet potato. Brush a thin layer of olive oil all around the sweet potatoes and sprinkle with salt.
3. Air fry sweet potatoes. Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket at cook for 30-35 minutes, or until fork-tender.
If you want your potatoes to have a soft outside, turn off the air fryer and leave the potatoes in the closed basket for 2-3 minutes. If you like the skin crispy, remove the potatoes as soon as they are finished cooking.
4. Serve. Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and slice open by making a horizontal and vertical slice (like a plus sign). Then use your fork to mash and open the sweet potato. Add a cube of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon before serving.
Looking for another delicious air fryer sweet potato recipe? Check out my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries next.
How much heat and time should you put a sweet potato in an air fryer?
When air frying a sweet potato, you will want to ensure your air fryer is set to 390 F. Now, based on the size of the potato, that may impact the cook time.
For 3 small sweet potatoes, I cooked them in the air fryer basket for 30-35 minutes and then let them sit for 2-3 minutes when they were done before removing them.
If you use bigger potatoes, you may need to add time and work in batches based on how big your air fryer is.
Do you have to soak sweet potatoes in water before air frying?
Soaking sweet potatoes before cooking with them is a widely debated topic. Some people say no while many others say it is a crucial step.
Air fryer baked potatoes do not need to be soaked, but definitely wash them and scrub using a potato brush to remove any dirt.
If you’re making sweet potato fries or air fryer cubed potatoes, you might want to consider soaking them in cold water after cutting and slicing to remove some starch. This will make your potatoes even crispier.
What temperature should baked sweet potatoes be?
Once you have finished air frying your potatoes and let them rest, make sure to check there internal temperature before serving to ensure they are cooked!
I start by grabbing a fork and poking the potato to ensure the inside if soft. If it is not soft, that is a quick way to know you will need to cook it for longer.
If your potato is soft, grab a food thermometer and poke it into the center of the potato. You will know your potato is done when its internal temperature reaches 205 – 212 F.
Can you put foil in an air fryer?
Yes, in most cases you can put foil in the air fryer. I recommend poking holes in it to allow for airflow.
Sometimes being able to use foil in the air fryer depends on the make/model of your air fryer along with the food you are cooking.
I recommend grabbing your manual and double checking that it is safe and/or recommended for your particular air fryer.
If you can use foil in your air fryer, make sure it is not cutting off or restricting air flow. If it does, you won’t get the results you are looking for and it can be dangerous!
How do I preheat my air fryer?
Depending on the model air fryer you have, pre-heating instructions may vary.
Most newer air fryer models have preheat setting. Alternatively, turn the air fryer on and set it to your desired temperature for cooking. Allow it to run for 5 minutes before adding food to the basket.
The best way to ensure you are pre-heating your particular air fryer correctly is to check the manual of the model you own.
Don’t own an air fryer yet? Check out my post on the best air fryer to buy.
WANT TO TRY THIS AIR FRYER BAKED POTATO RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, dinner recipes, or pesto recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- Preheat the air fryer to 390° F.
- Using a fork, poke holes all around the sweet potato. Brush a thin layer of olive oil all around the sweet potatoes and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket at cook for 30-35 minutes, or until fork tender. If you want your potatoes to have a soft outside, turn off the air fryer and leave the potatoes in the closed basket for 2-3 minutes. If you like the skin crispy, remove the potatoes as soon as they are finished cooking.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and slice open by making a horizontal and vertical slice (like a plus sign). Then use your fork to mash and open the sweet potato. Add a cube of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon before serving.