What makes the best spicy shrimp tacos? Tequila Lime Shrimp! This Drunken Shrimp Recipe is loaded with flavor thanks to seasoned shrimp and a tequila lime sauce that has bright lime flavor with a hint of spice.
The tequila shrimp cooks in less than 10 minutes, so it’s a quick dinner option. Don’t forget the mango pineapple salsa for the tacos!
Drunken Tequila Lime Shrimp Recipe
There are so many reasons why you’ll love this shrimp recipe, but perhaps the best of all is that it is SO INSANELY flavorful! Shrimp are one of my favorite proteins and I love coming up with new ways to eat them and new flavors to season them with, and this is a really good one!
The shrimp are seasoned with some classic Mexican flavors like paprika, cumin, chili powder and some brown sugar for a tiny touch of sweetness that will help balance out the spice and citrus.
The shrimp cook in a few minutes and after you flip them, it’s time to make the tequila lime sauce! This mixture of tequila, lime juice, lime zest, jalapeños, and cilantro turns into a bright and flavorful sauce with some smoke and heat from the Mezcal and jalapeños.
What Is Drunken Shrimp?
Drunken shrimp is a Mexican-style shrimp with tequila lime sauce. Don’t worry, the alcohol cooks out of the shrimp, it’s really just a fun name for the recipe.
Tequila Lime Shrimp Ingredients
This tequila shrimp recipe comes together with some classic Mexican inspired ingredients:
- Shrimp – Use jumbo shrimp that are peeled and deveined for the best flavor.
- Tequila – You can also use mezcal (more on that below!)
- Seasonings – Olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, brown sugar, and chili powder.
- Fresh ingredients – Garlic, lime, jalapeño, and cilantro.
How to Make Tequila Shrimp
Let me show you how to make spicy tequila lime shrimp!
- Season shrimp. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and brown sugar.
- Cook tequila shrimp. Heat olive oil in large pan over medium high heat. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Arrange shrimp in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Make tequila lime sauce for shrimp. Immediately after flipping shrimp, add the lime juice, tequila, and jalapeño to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and cooked through.
What To Serve With Tequila Lime Shrimp
You could also serve the shrimp over rice and add your favorite toppings, like my blackened shrimp taco bowl.
How Long Will Mexican Drunken Shrimp Last In The Fridge?
The shrimp will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Reheat the shrimp gently in a hot skillet for best results, microwaving is not recommended.
Can I Use Mezcal Instead of Tequila?
Yes, you can use either mezcal or tequila in this drunken spicy shrimp recipe.
Using mezcal will give you a more smoky flavor, which I think is awesome with the shrimp (I prefer mezcal!), but tequila also works well! Use a blanco tequila (we don’t need a super aged tequila for this recipe) or whatever you have on hand.
Tips For The Best Drunken Shrimp Recipe
- Use a heavy bottom pan or cast iron skillet to cook the shrimp.
- When the shrimp turn pink or are no longer translucent, you will know they are done. To char on the edges, cook 90% on one side and then flip.
- If you want to add some heat to the recipe, add some of the jalapeño seeds to the skillet while cooking.
More Easy Shrimp Recipes To Try
If you love this tequila lime shrimp recipe, be sure to give my other shrimp recipes a try:
- Shrimp Pho Noodle Soup
- Blackened Shrimp Recipe
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Easy Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Hawaiian Shrimp Taco Bowl
- Blackened Shrimp Taco Bowl
WANT TO TRY THIS DRUNKEN TEQUILA LIME SHRIMP RECIPE?
PIN IT to your shrimp recipes, Mexican recipes, or dinner recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Tequila Lime Shrimp
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp tequila, or Mezcal
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and brown sugar.
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pan medium high heat. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Arrange the shrimp in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Immediately after flipping the shrimp, add the lime juice, mezcal, and jalapeño to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and top with lime zest and cilantro.