Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are a delicious way to enjoy a healthy snack. They’re Whole30 compliant, gluten free, and ready in less than 15 minutes!
These sweet potato fries can be easily (and quickly) made in your air fryer and make for the perfect snack or side dish. Bonus: they’ll be sure to sweeten up your taste buds!
While you’ve got your air fryer out, check out some of my other easy air fryer recipes like: frozen egg rolls, frozen mozzarella sticks, air fryer onion rings, and zucchini chips!
Tip: air fryer recipes are perfect for game day eats. Consider inviting some friends over, grabbing your air fryer and make a snack platter everyone will be talking about.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Everyone loves the perfect pairing; a dynamic duo you can’t break up. You know exactly what I’m talking about a juicy burger and the perfect side of fries.
But what is better than a side of french fries? The beloved sweet potato fry.
We’ve all been there…sitting at a restaurant ordering food and then you hear the waiter/waitress list off your fry options and they say those magical words, “sweet potato fries.”
Honestly, I’m drooling just thinking about it, but thanks to this recipe, you don’t have to wait for a waiter or waitress to whisper those magical words in your ears. Now, you can make restaurant quality sweet potato fries at home in your air fryer!
These Whole30 sweet potato fries cook to a perfect crisp when made in an air fryer. Not only are they Whole30 compliant, they are gluten free, healthy, and so delicious. So delicious in fact, you will forget they are considered healthy.
Ingredients You Will Need
Herbs and spices: one of the things I love most about sweet potato fries is the delicious flavors and seasonings that pair perfectly with the potato. To achieve the perfect flavor, you will need: salt, pepper, parsley, and red pepper flakes.
Potatoes: I recommend using nice large sweet potatoes.
For cooking: olive oil
How To Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
1. Prepare the sweet potatoes. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into ½ inch thick strips. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine sweet potatoes and olive oil until the potatoes are fully coated.
2. Season the potatoes. Toss parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a medium-sized mixing bowl until potatoes are fully coated.
3. Air fry the sweet potatoes. Transfer seasoned potatoes to the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes on the air fry setting. After 5 minutes, remove the air fryer tray, shake the sweet potato fries around and place back in the air fryer for another 5 minutes or until they are crisp to your liking. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve!
Is there an easy way to cut Sweet Potatoes?
If you have ever cut a sweet potato by hand, with a knife, then you know what a challenge cutting a sweet potato can be.
Sweet potatoes are not easy to cut like their yellow cousin. Sweet potatoes are actually a root vegetable and much harder to cut.
So how do we make cutting a sweet potato easier? Below are some options you have to make cutting through a dense sweet potato.
- Microwave the sweet potato for just a couple minutes to make it easier to cut. Time varies based on the size of potato, but start with 1-2 minutes and go from there. Remember you just want to soften it, not cook it!
- Use a vegetable peeler and then cut through the potato with a petite chef knife.
- Cut a thin slice off the widest part of the sweet potato so you can lay it flat without it wobbling.
How Long Should I Cook Sweet Potato Fries In The Air Fryer?
I recommend keeping them in there for 10-15 minutes. After the first 5 minutes, take them out and shake them around the air fryer basket. Then throw them back in for another 5 minutes to finish them off.
This will give you the perfect crisp!
Some people enjoy a little more crunch to their fries. If that is you, add more time! However, do keep an eye on your fries, you don’t want them to over cook or burn.
What Kind Of Oil Is Best For Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries?
When you are cooking, it’s recommended that you use an oil with a high smoke point. Some olive oils and avocado oil are my favorites to use and keep in the kitchen.
Don’t have any of these oils on hand? Use what you prefer. Just remember to keep an eye on them while cooking so they don’t burn.
Why Wont My Sweet Potato Fries Get Crispy?
The key to getting them crispier is to make sure they are spread evenly in a single layer and not touching. If fries are touching, then they will steam instead of baking.
What is Whole30?
Formally, Whole30 is a 30-day elimination diet. The diet involves cutting out and avoiding certain foods that can cause inflammation, cravings, and negatively affect hormones and gut health.
You CAN eat:
- Vegetables (including potatoes)
- Unprocessed meat
- Olive oil and/or coconut oil
- Black coffee
You CAN’T eat:
- Added sugars
- French fries/potato chips
- Processed additives (MSG, sulfites, etc.)
If you’re doing the Whole30 diet, you might want to check out my survival guide or these Tips For Successfully Surviving The Whole30 Diet.
Looking for more tasty Whole30 meals? Here are 30 easy Whole30 compliant meals to get you through the month.
Are Sweet Potatoes Whole30 Compliant?
Sweet potatoes are great for Whole30. They’re super filling and can satisfy a craving for sweets and even crunchy things. However, if you read above, you will see fries and potato chips aren’t compliant.
However, these sweet potato fries are!
Sweet potatoes are rich in nutrients and high in fiber. With this recipe, we toss them in olive oil and only enhance the flavors with pantry staple seasonings.
Are Air Fryers Really Worth It?
It all depends on your circumstances, what you are looking for, and what you are cooking!
If you spend your days always cooking for 5+ people or large family gatherings, then an air fryer may not be ideal for you.
However, if you are a smaller crowd during the week, a small family, 1 person, 2 people, or using it to air fry for the kids or small batch foods, then I highly highly recommend.
In my opinion, though, I think they’re totally worth it. They’re especially good for apartment lifestyles.
You only need a little bit of oil, to prevent sticking, to cook your food. So, you’re using 70-80% less cooking oil. This cuts a large portion of fat from your food without sacrificing taste and texture.
Also, if you’ve ever fried food in your home you know that the entire home will smell like fried food for a while. This isn’t a problem with the air fryer. There is hardly any smell that lingers after you’re done cooking!
I love my air fryer and totally recommend at least looking into how an air fryer can help out your lifestyle
More air fryer recipes you might like
More Whole30 recipes you might like
- Green Goddess Salmon Bowls
- Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps
- Pan Seared Salmon With Avocado Salsa
- Slow Roasted Mini Potatoes
- Mushroom Bolognese
WANT TO TRY THIS AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO RECIPE?
PIN IT to your air fryer recipes, potato recipes, or snack recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° F.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch thick strips. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine sweet potatoes and olive oil until the potatoes are fully coated.
- Toss parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl until potatoes are fully coated.
- Transfer seasoned potatoes to the preheated air fryer and cook for 10 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the air fryer tray, shake the sweet potato fries around and place back in the air fryer for another 5 minutes or until they are crisp to your liking. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Hi Jz, I have just bought my first air fryer/oven, and really appreciate your well set out recipes and easy to follow tips and ideas.
Thank you! I hope you’re enjoying it.
Love making these fries in the air fryer. Love the fact i don’t have to worry about oil and the mess it leaves behind.
Such an easy way to make some sweet potato fries just for myself without having to heat up my oven!
The air fryer is perfect for getting sweet potato fries done to perfection! Yum!
This is so perfect and so easy to make! Everyone loved it!
I love these and they are now the regular side dish at our house.