Grab your pita chips, crackers, naan and veggies, because this Creamy Homemade Hummus recipe will have you dipping everything in sight!
I LOVE hummus, it’s the perfect appetizer, side-dish, or snack. Depending on the day, I might even make an entire meal out of it!
No shame, there have been nights I’ve wanted something light, but packed with flavor. My easy solution—whipping up some hummus and using it to dip pita chips, naan, or vegetables.
Now, I know nothing compares to fresh hummus from an authentic Mediterranean restaurant. However this creamy homemade hummus recipe comes awfully close to being perfect. If I do say so myself.
Homemade Hummus Recipe
One of the best things about making your own hummus is knowing exactly what goes into it. There are no preservatives, no artificial flavors, and no unwanted additives!
If that wasn’t reason enough to make your own hummus from scratch…it only takes 1 bowl and about 10 minutes of your time!
There really is no reason to ever buy store-bought hummus again.
Homemade Hummus Ingredients
• Chickpeas / garbanzo beans, drained
• Fresh lemon juice
• Olive oil
• White wine vinegar
*a full list of ingredients and measurements for this recipe can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
How To Make Homemade Hummus
1. Blend all the ingredients together. Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender in this order: garlic, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil, chickpeas, tahini.
Process on high for 5 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
2. Thin the mixture. If the hummus is too thick for your liking add 1-2 tablespoons of liquid from the chickpeas and add olive oil. Slowly add in ½ tablespoon at a time. If the mixture is perfect—skip this step and serve!
Pro-Tip: As you are blending the hummus, you might need to spoon the mixture off the sides to make sure everything is being combined and processed properly.
It’s All About The Toppings!
Toppings really do change the hummus. I love to top mine with Za’atar, edible flowers, olive oil, and a sprinkle of paprika.
Wait, what is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a Middle-Eastern spice combined with oregano, thyme, sumac, and toasted sesame seeds.
However, you can top your hummus with anything you like! Popular ingredients to add are:
- Pine Nuts
- Lemon zest
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Spinach and artichoke
- Basil pesto
- Roasted garlic
- Roasted red peppers
- Jalapeno (if you like to live on the wild side)!
- Herbs/spices like rosemary and thyme
Questions You Might Have About This Recipe
What Is Hummus?
Hummus is a dip with a creamy texture that originated from the Middle East. It has a reputation for being clean and healthy; and it honestly deserves it!
All the main ingredients (in traditional versions) are super foods! It’s made up of chickpeas, sesame paste (tahini), garlic, and olive oil.
How Long Is Homemade Hummus Good For?
If you have willpower and don’t eat the entire bowl in one sitting, then it will last in the fridge for about one week.
Is Hummus Healthy?
Yes! Don’t feel guilty when you choose not to share. There are many health benefits to homemade hummus:
- Packed with plant-based protein
- Rich in ingredients that may help fight inflammation
- High in fiber
- May promote digestive health and good gut bacteria
- Has a low glycemic index with may help control blood sugar levels
- May reduce the risk of heart disease
- Naturally gluten-free, nut-free, and dairy free
Where Can I Find Za’atar?
You might be able to find za’atar in the ethnic foods section of your local grocery store. If you can’t, you can always order it online.
Which Tahini do you recommend?
This is the tahini I use and love. It’s so creamy and there’s nothing else like it!
More Appetizer Recipes To Try
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Roasted Beet Hummus
- Mexican Street Corn Dip
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
- Baby Bok Choy
WANT TO TRY THIS HOMEMADE HUMMUS RECIPE?
PIN IT to your hummus recipes, appetizer recipes, or Mediterranean recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Creamy Homemade Hummus
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas / garbanzo beans, drained
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, (about one lemon)
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender in this order: garlic, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil, chickpeas, tahini. Process on high for 5 minutes or until smooth and fluffy. If you find that the mixture is too
- Process on high for 5 minutes or until smooth and fluffy. If you find that the mixture is too thick, you can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of liquid from the chickpea can and more olive oil (½ tbsp at a time).
- As the hummus is processing, you might need to spoon the mixture off the sides to make sure everything is being combined properly.
Leave a Reply