While these products were provided by The Companion Group, all views stated are my own.
I’ve been a huge fan of Himalayan salt for years and recently got into salt block cooking. There are so many health benefits your body can reap from Himalayan salt. Plus, serving a dish on a large slab of Himalayan salt is an easy way to impress your guests!
Why I love cooking on Himalayan salt blocks
Himalayan salt harbors tons of benefits and cooking on a Himalayan salt block allows you to easily inhibit these benefits without adding too much salt to your food. It’s a mild salt composed of over 80 trace minerals.
Himalayan salt comes from the Punjab region of Pakistan – just under 200 miles from the Himalayas. The Punjab region is one of the richest salt fields in the entire world, dating back to the Precambrian Age. It’s fascinating to think of salt as more profound than just another ingredient in a recipe!
What is a Himalayan Salt Block? It’s exactly what it sounds like – a large block of Himalayan salt, used for cooking or serving.
They are one of my favorite cooking surfaces and provide a complex salt flavor without being overbearing. Himalayan salt blocks are easy to use and maintain, and serving on them will make you look quite sophisticated.
This six-step Grilled Halibut recipe had all my friends impressed, mostly because they were fascinated by the fact that I was cooking with a salt block. They became even more impressed after tasting the fish!
5 Reasons To Cook With Himalayan Salt
There are many benefits of Himalayan salt, but here are my top five. Himilayan salt:
- Improves respiratory problems
- Balances your body’s pH
- Acts as a natural digestive aid
- Purifies air
- Better sleep inducer
Now that you know ALL about Himalayan salt and its wonderful benefits, you’ll need to know how to cook with your Himalayan salt block.
3 tips for cooking on a Himalayan salt block:
- Let it heat with the grill/oven gradually – heating the block too quickly could result in cracking.
- To clean, scrub the block with a gentle scrub brush and warm water – because the salt block is naturally anti-microbial, you won’t need any soap.
- Keep on cooking – once you’ve heated the salt block, you can continue cooking on it for hours. Host a hibachi night!
Himalayan salt blocks are ideal for grilling. Now that you’ve got a wealth of knowledge and a large slab of ancient Himalayan salt in your kitchen, let’s talk about grilling up some halibut with broccolini on it!
Halibut Grilled On A Himalayan Salt Block With Broccolini
- Preheat Himalayan salt block with grill to 375
- Mix parsley, garlic, 3 tbs olive oil, pepper, and seafood sprinkle in a small bowl
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, toss broccolini with 2 tbs olive oil
- Using a silicone brush, coat all sides of the halibut with the olive oil mixture
- Place halibut and broccolini on Himalayan salt block and brush remaining olive oil mixture over broccolini. Place lemon slices over halibut.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until halibut flakes with a fork. Using a spatula, remove fish from salt block.