Easy to make and majorly addictive, this Crack Chicken Dip recipe is great for entertaining, as a snack to eat during the game, or to serve as a flavorful dip centerpiece at your next party!
Why you’ll love this chicken dip recipe
Creamy, savory, and so easy to make, this warm crack chicken dip is your new favorite dip recipe! Whether you need something to keep the hunger at bay during game day, an appetizer to satisfy a hungry crowd, or just a delicious snack in the afternoon, you’ll adore this super easy dip recipe.
In the same vein as my Maryland crab dip or a batch of my favorite slow cooker buffalo chicken dip, this is a delicious baked appetizer that’s loaded with flavor and only requires a handful of ingredients.
Why is it called crack dip?
Don’t worry, all of the ingredients you need are available at your local grocery store! This indulgent dip gets its tongue-in-cheek name because of how addictively delicious it is.
Ingredients you will need
- Cream cheese: Forms the base of this dip and gives it a nice thick and creamy texture.
- Sour cream: Provides a bit of delicious tangy flavor and makes the dip nice and smooth.
- Ranch dressing mix: Using a packet of dressing or dip mix is a great way to instantly add lots of familiar flavor to your dip!
- Bacon: Everything tastes better with bacon! This will add some more savory flavor and a nice smoky touch.
- Chicken: Shredded chicken makes this dip filling and adds some protein. This is a great way to reuse leftover chicken if you have some in your fridge. I prefer the white chicken breast meat, but you can add dark meat too if you like!
- Green onions: garnish with a pop of color and a nice amount of herbal onion flavor.
- Shredded cheese: I like to use shredded cheddar cheese, but other varieties also work well, as long as they easily melt and get nice and gooey.
How to make crack chicken dip
- Prepare baking dish. Preheat the oven and spray down a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine crack chicken dip ingredients. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or another kind of electric mixer to combine cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch dressing until smooth. Fold in the bacon, chicken, half the cheese, and green onion.
- Bake the dip. Transfer the dip to your prepared baking dish, top with the other half of the shredded cheese, and bake until golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle with the remaining green onions and bacon bits and serve!
What should I serve with crack chicken dip?
This chicken bacon ranch dip pairs well with just about all of your favorite snacks and dippers! Tortilla chips and potato chips, buttery crackers, pretzels, pieces of crusty bread, and vegetables like carrot sticks or celery sticks all taste incredible dipped in this addictive dish.
Is chicken dip supposed to be served hot?
Yes, I recommend serving this crack chicken recipe hot for best results. You’ll want that nice melty cheese, and when cold the dip might be too thick and dense for easy dipping.
Recipe tips and variations
- To store leftover cheesy chicken dip, cover it with plastic wrap or foil, or transfer to an airtight container with a lid. Keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheat your dip by popping it back in the oven until the cheese is nice and melty again. From frozen, allow the dip to thaw before reheating, or give it some extra time in the oven.
- I prefer sharp cheddar cheese, but another melty cheese like mozzarella, monterey jack, pepper jack, or even a Mexican blend could be used. Experiment with whatever kind of cheese you like and combine them to your taste.
- Allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature to make it easier to mix with the sour cream and ranch.
- If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, you could buy a whole chicken at the grocery store (a rotisserie chicken works great) or oven-bake a few chicken breasts and shred them.
- For some extra heat, top with a drizzle of hot sauce.
More dip recipes
WANT TO TRY THIS CRACK CHICKEN DIP RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, dip recipes, or appetizer recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Crack Chicken Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet ranch dressing seasoning
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch oven-proof dish with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sour cream, cream cheese, and ranch seasoning using a hand mixer until smooth. Then fold in the bacon, chicken, 1 cup of cheese, and green onion with a spatula, reserving about ¼ cup of the bacon and green onions and 1 cup of cheese for the top.
- Add the mix to the prepared baking dish and smooth with a spatula. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Serve with the remaining bacon and green onions, and crackers for dipping.