An easy to make Whole30 Egg Roll In A Bowl made with sesame ginger lime chicken is a healthy yet delicious low-carb dish, and ready in 30 minutes!
Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe
Some of my favorite meals are served in a bowl and it’s a legit fact that everything tastes better in bowls.
Egg rolls are delicious, I love the crispy outside and the way that it burns the roof of my mouth when I bite into it no matter how long I wait for it to cool.
Asian style foods are one of the things I miss the most doing Whole30 and going back to my “everything tastes better in bowls statement”, here we are with a Whole30 Egg Roll In A Bowl recipe.
Full disclosure, I created this recipe over two years ago and am just now getting around to posting it. I’m not sure what has taken me so long but I’m so glad to be sharing it with you now!
WHAT IS AN EGG ROLL IN A BOWL?
It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Unless you’re imagining a literal egg roll sitting in a bowl, then uh..no..that’s not it.
An egg roll in a bowl is a deconstructed version of your favorite Asian side dish, the classic egg roll. It’s filled with all the goods like mushrooms, water chestnuts, avocado, and cauliflower rice.
I added Sesame Ginger Lime Chicken to my egg roll bowls, but you can use any protein you like or keep it vegetarian.
Here are some other proteins you might like to try in these egg roll bowls:
- ground turkey
- ground beef
- ground pork
HOW TO MAKE THIS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE
1. Marinate the chicken. Whisk the sesame oil, garlic, lime juice and zest, sesame seeds, onion powder, and grated ginger together in a small bowl. I also love adding half a teaspoon of this seasoning to the mix for a more powerful umami flavor. Cut half inch deep slits in the chicken to let the marinade penetrate deeper and place it in a gallon storage bag with the marinade for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
2. Cook the chicken. Heat a heavy bottom pan with sesame oil over medium-low heat. Place the chicken in the pan with all of the marinade and cook for 10 minutes on each side or until it’s completely cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
Note: you will definitely want to use a splatter guard for this!
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the bowls.
3. Pan fry the onions. Slice the white parts of the green onions and heat a large skillet or wok with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil on medium-high heat. Pan fry the green onions in the sesame oil until they turn brown.
4. Cook the rest of the ingredients. Reduce the heat to medium and add the yellow onions, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper to the pan with the fried onions. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until the yellow onions become translucent and the mushrooms are tender. Then add the cauliflower rice, water chestnuts, and coleslaw mix. Saute for 2-4 minutes until the cauliflower rice is tender but not mushy.
5. Make the spicy mayo. Combine the mayo with the Sriracha in a small bowl. Place it in a small storage bag and cut a tiny hole in the corner of the bag.
6. Prepare the bowls. Slice the chicken into 1 inch strips. Divide the ingredients in the wok between bowls, then add the chicken, and top them with a drizzle of spicy mayo. Garnish with sliced avocado, sesame seeds, and green onions.
WHY I LOVE THIS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE
- It’s healthy and Whole30 compliant which means there’s no added sweeteners, gluten, grains, or soy. So it’s great for someone with dietary restrictions or anyone who just wants to eat something healthy!
- This Whole30 Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe is made in one pan so the clean up is quick and easy.
- All the flavors of a classic egg roll but without the unhealthy deep fried wrapper make this a delicious Whole30 dinner recipe
THE BEST PART ABOUT IT
These Egg Roll Bowls are on my weekly dinner rotation whenever I’m doing Whole30 and one of my top meal prep recipes any time of year. Egg Roll Bowls are:
- easy to make
- completely customizable
- low carb
- downright DELICIOUS
- This Egg Roll In A Bowl recipe can be cooked in one pan if you want to save on dishes! Just cook the chicken first and set it aside.
- You can add liquid aminos or coconut aminos to the sesame ginger lime marinade if you want more of a “soy sauce flavor”.
- If you don’t want to make spicy mayo at home, you can purchase it already made from this brand.
- Use this brand’s sesame ginger vinaigrette as a marinade if you don’t want to make it from scratch.
Some Questions You Might Have About The Recipe
Is an egg roll healthy?
Egg rolls are typically wrapped in dough and deep fried in oil. They can be heavy in fat and calories. This egg roll in a bowl is a healthier version of your favorite appetizer!
What is inside of an egg roll?
An egg roll is usually filled with shredded cabbage, carrots, and pork or shrimp.
What is the healthiest Chinese food?
Lower calorie Chinese food might include beef and broccoli, baked salmon, or shrimp and steamed vegetables.
Are spring rolls healthier than egg rolls?
Spring rolls are a much healthier choice than egg rolls. They typically have half the amount of calories and way more nutrients from the raw vegetables.
MORE WHOLE30 RECIPES
- Green Goddess Salmon Bowls
- Mushroom Bolognese
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Bacon Mushroom Smothered Pork Chops
- Lemon Garlic Green Beans
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
WHOLE30 RESOURCES YOU MIGHT FIND HELPFUL
- Whole30 Survival Guide
- New Year New Me: Whole30 Recap
- Get Back To Healthy With Whole30
- 5 Tips For Successfully Surviving The Whole30 Diet
- 30 Easy Whole30 Recipes
WANT TO TRY THIS WHOLE30 EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE?
PIN IT to your Whole30 recipes, dinner recipes, or chicken recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Whole30 Egg Roll In A Bowl
Egg Roll Bowl
- 2 chicken breasts
- 12 oz cauliflower rice, riced broccoli works well too!
- 12 oz coleslaw mix
- 6 green onions
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed
Sesame Ginger Lime Marinade
- 1/4 cup Whole30 approved mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, add one more tablespoon if you like it extra spicy
Sesame Ginger Lime Chicken
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Cut one inch slits in the chicken to let the marinade penetrate deeper and place in a gallon storage bag with the marinade for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil over medium-low heat. Place the chicken in the pan with all of the marinade and Cook the chicken for 10 minutes on each side or until it's completely cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
Egg Roll Bowl
- While the chicken is cooking, slice the white parts of the green onions and heat a large skillet or wok with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil on medium-high heat. Pan fry the green onions in the sesame oil until they turn brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the yellow onions, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper to the pan with the fried onions, saute for 3-5 minutes or until the yellow onions become translucent and the mushrooms are tender. Then add cauliflower rice, water chestnuts, and coleslaw mix, and saute for 2-4 minutes until the cauliflower rice just becomes tender.
- Combine the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl.
- Slice chicken into 1 inch strips, divide the cauliflower rice mixture between 4 bowls, and top each bowl with avocado, sesame seeds, green part of the sliced green onions, and a drizzle of spicy mayo.