These crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries are the best you’ll ever make! Served with tahini dipping sauce, they are perfect for serving at a party or side dish on a weeknight.
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Made with large sweet potatoes, the perfect blend of seasonings, cotija cheese, and the most delicious homemade tahini dipping sauce, these baked sweet potato fries will have everyone asking for an invite to your house!
Never question what to do with all the sweet potatoes you brought home from the grocery store again with my favorite sweet potato recipes like these Roasted Sweet Potato Bowls, Mexican Sweet Potatoes, Pesto Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, or this Breakfast Sweet Potato Toast.
Crispy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fry Ingredients
Potatoes: to make the perfect fries, you will need two large sweet potatoes. This recipe makes enough for about four people. Double accordingly or as needed.
Herbs and spices: We are going to season these sweet potatoes with kosher salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic.
Flour: all-purpose flour is a secret ingredient to achieving perfectly crispy sweet potato fries.
Dairy: an unexpected addition – cotija cheese. The cheese adds a nice touch as well and has great flavor.
Optional toppings: cilantro and extra cotija cheese for garnish.
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below.
Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce
There is nothing better than the perfect dipping sauce to pair with your fries. With just a few ingredients, you can make the best homemade tahini dipping sauce for fries.
To make the sauce, you will need:
Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Season the fries. In a large bowl add the sweet potato fries with the flour, cotija cheese, avocado oil, paprika, and garlic. Mix until all the pieces are evenly covered. Place them on your prepared baking tray in a single layer.
3. Bake the fries. Bake sweet potato fries for 25 minutes. Toss and bake them for another 25 minutes, or until they are slightly golden.
4. Garnish and serve. Sprinkle with cilantro, salt, pepper, and extra cotija cheese if you like.
If you doubled the recipe, be sure not to crowd the pan.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce
Making dipping sauce for your fries might sound daunting and another thing to have to do in the kitchen. However, it’s super easy, fun, and if you have kids, a great way to introduce them to cooking and let them help!
I made a Tahini Honey Dressing to dip the fries in and it is just delicious.
To make the tahini dipping sauce, just combine all the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combined and smooth. Once done, serve it with your sweet potato fries!
You can even make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Fries
Make it a full meal with some of my dinner time favorites like:
- Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Chimichurri Steak
- Jalapeño Lime Air Fryer Steak
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Buffalo Tofu Bowls
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes
Cutting sweet potatoes can be a challenge. To cut sweet potatoes, I recommend:
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- A multipurpose mandoline
To cut a sweet potato for fries:
- Peel the potato (optional).
- Slice off the ends of the sweet potato.
- Thinly slice off one side of the potato (lengthwise) to create a flat surface for sturdier cutting.
- Turn the sweet potato onto the flat side and slice off 1/4″ slices, then into smaller strips (fries).
Sweet potatoes are easier to cut if you soften them a bit first. Try popping them in the mircowave for 1-2 minutes and then cutting them.
Why Won’t My Fries Get Crispy?
Unlike deep frying, french fries will become crispy fries, if you follow these important steps you can get deliciously crispy fries out of the oven.
- Slice thin. Slice your sweet potato fries thin. If they are too think, they will bake, but they won’t get crispy.
- Cornstarch. Don’t skip the corn starch! Corn starch (and oil) help get your fries extra crispy.
- Even layer. Place your fries on the pan in an even layer. If they are overlapping, they won’t get crispy. When you space out your fries you will get crispy edges and perfectly cooked and crispy fries.
- Don’t crowd the pan. If there are too many sweet potatoes on the pan, they will steam up and get soft instead of crisp. Baked sweet potato fries need room to breathe on the pan. Depending on how many you have, you may want to use two baking sheets.
Does Soaking Sweet Potatoes Remove Starch?
Yes! Most vegetables like potatoes, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, and more have starch in them. Removing the starch from your vegetables is easy and makes them crispier.
Place your sweet potatoes in a medium to large sized bowl. Fill the bowl with cold water and let them sit for about 30 minutes.
More Easy Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- Easy Potato Latkes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Garlic Potatoes
- Crispy Roasted Mini Potatoes
- Mexican Sweet Potatoes
WANT TO TRY THIS BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES RECIPE?
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries With Tahini Dipping Sauce
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
For the sweet potato fries:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the sweet potato fries with the flour, cotija cheese, avocado oil, paprika, and garlic. Mix until all the pieces are evenly covered. Place them on your prepared baking tray in a single layer.
- Bake sweet potato fries for 25 minutes. Toss and bake them for another 25 minutes, or until they are slightly golden.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, salt, pepper and extra cotija cheese if you like.
For the tahini dipping sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Serve with sweet potato fries.