These oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes are perfectly crispy and completely irresistible. Seasoned to perfection; this side dish is a crowd pleaser.
You will love these Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Get ready to fall in LOVE! This super easy sheet pan Roasted Sweet Potato recipe is going to be a family favorite!
These potatoes are perfectly seasoned and have the most incredible flavor; bound to satisfy any potato craving.
Sweet potatoes may be very popular in the Fall however, these potatoes can be enjoyed anytime of year. They are also versatile and go with so many different proteins.
While I love a good sweet potato casserole, or mashed sweet potatoes, oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes take the cake for me. The combination of crisp and soft is one of my favorites. It’s almost like the adult version of sweet potato fries, and I’m here for it!
Roasted Sweet Potato ingredients
- Potatoes: for this recipe, I used sweet potatoes (with the skin on) cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Herbs & spices: Kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder
- The secret ingredient: sprinkling light brown sugar over the potatoes just before baking with gives them a delicious caramelization and crispy finish.
*For a detailed list of ingredients and measurements, please reference the recipe card down below.
How to make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
1. Prepare the seasoning. In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes. Slice the potato into 1/2 inch thick rounds, then into 1/2 inch equal sized cubes.
3. Season the sweet potatoes. Toss sweet potato cubes in olive oil, then add seasoning and toss to coat.
4. Roast the sweet potatoes. Place the seasoned sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet with about a half-inch in between each one. Sprinkle with a pinch of brown sugar. Roast for 15 minutes, toss and continue roasting for 10-15 mins until golden brown and crispy.
Cook times may very based on size; check on your potatoes about every 5 minutes after the first 15 minutes of roasting.
How to cut a Sweet Potato For Roasting
I recommend cutting your sweet potato into cubes, however, you can cut them into whichever shape you prefer. Bite sized things are my jam, so I really enjoy the cubes!
- Peel the potato (optional).
- Start by cutting off the ends of the sweet potato.
- Thinly slice off one side of the potato to create a flat surface for sturdier cutting.
- Starting at one end, slice the potato into rounds and then cut into equal sized cubes.
I did not peel my potatoes. This is just a personal preference and won’t affect the way the potatoes cook.
How long to Roast Sweet Potatoes
I roast my sweet potato cubes for about 30 minutes total, but the total roasting time will depend on how big your cubes are.
How to get a crispy Roasted Sweet Potato
In my not so humble opinion, crispy potatoes are the BEST potatoes! To ensure you get crispy potatoes make sure you give the potatoes plenty of space on the pan.
Space will allow the outside of the potatoes to get crispy instead of steamy and mushy.
I like to roast my potatoes right on the baking sheet, without foil, because it can actually prevent your potatoes from crisping.
Serving tip: if you’re serving these for a crowd and find that your sweet potatoes get mushy after you’ve transferred them to a serving bowl, try using a serving tray instead. That way they can spread out and stay crispy instead of steaming up from all the heat of them being on top of each other.
What to serve with this Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
There are so many ways to serve Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Lately, I’ve been on a power bowl kick and have been adding them in, like in these Roasted Sweet Potato Bowls.
- Chimichurri Steak
- Salmon Cakes With Lemon Dill Sauce
- Air Fryer Chicken
- Blackened Shrimp
- Creamy Garlic Tuscan Salmon
How to store Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Let the sweet potatoes cool to room temperature before transferring them to an airtight container and storing in the refrigerator. They can be stored like this for up for 5 days.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes FAQs
It’s really a personal preference. Boiling sweet potatoes will make them soft and tender and roasting sweet potatoes will give you a tender inside with a crispy outside.
If you don’t allow enough space on the pan your potatoes will become steamy and mushy instead of caramelized and crispy. Make sure you are using a large enough pan to space out your potatoes.
It’s not necessary. If you want to you can, however, I do not because it adds additional steps, dishes, and time to the process.
This is truly personal preference. Some people like the skin and others do not. I like to leave it on because it only ends up on a few sweet potato cubes and removing it only adds an additional step.
More Potato Recipes To Try
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes Nachos
- Mushroom Hasselback Potato Gratin
- Breakfast Sweet Potato Toast
- Pesto Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Potatoes
More Side Dish Recipes
- Israeli Couscous Recipe
- Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Risotto
- Whipped Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Red Peppers
WANT TO TRY THIS ROASTED SWEET POTATO RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, dinner recipes, or pesto recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Slice the potato into 1/2 inch thick rounds, then into 1/2 inch equal sized cubes.
- Toss sweet potatoes in olive oil, then add seasoning and toss to coat.
- Place the seasoned sweet potatoes on a baking sheet with about a half-inch in between each one. Sprinkle with a pinch of brown sugar. Roast for 15 minutes, toss and continue roasting for 10-15 mins until golden brown and crispy.