Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip has everything you love about your favorite tailgate dip, but lightened up with less fat in this healthier version!
Buffalo Chicken Dip is one of those things that I crave more often than I’d like to admit. But this is one that you can feel way less guilty about scarfing down!
This post was developed in paid partnership with Hood Cottage Cheese. Thank you for being supportive of me working with brands I use and love!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Is there anything better than a cheesy, spicy, creamy Buffalo Chicken Dip? Um, no, there isn’t.
It’s actually one of the first things I ever learned to make in college. I made it ALL the time. For every tailgate, every family get-together, and even sometimes for dinner while I studied.
It’s just so easy to make! I usually have all the ingredients on hand and will just have to pick up something like carrots or celery for dipping.
Ingredients For Making Buffalo Chicken Dip
The best thing about this dip is that you probably have most of these ingredients on hand. And if you don’t, they aren’t hard to find!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- shredded chicken
- Hood Cottage Cheese with Black Pepper
- greek yogurt
- blue cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
- hot sauce
Now you might not have made Buffalo Chicken Dip with cottage cheese before, but if you are looking to make a lightened up version, it’s the perfect ingredient for that! It’s also a good source of protein, so if you’re trying to find new ways to add cottage cheese to your diet, this recipe and other dip recipes are a great start.
Hood has a wide variety of cottage cheese flavors that will fit in with just about anything you’re making—sweet or savory! I used the black pepper flavor in this recipe, but you can also use country style or chive. Check out the rest of their flavors here.
How To Make Shredded Chicken
For the purpose of making this recipe as easy as possible, I suggest using a rotisserie chicken from the store that’s already cooked. You can also get this dip ready in less than 30 minutes if you use precooked chicken!
Winner winner chicken dinner….literally.
If you just can’t be bothered with the shredding (it’s truly my least favorite thing), you can also just grab two 5oz cans of chicken breast meat.
If you want to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker or the instant pot, you can do that too! Even though I hate shredding chicken, this is my preferred method.
How To Make Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
The idea of taking all the delicious flavors from buffalo chicken wings and turning them into wildly delicious dip is pure genius.
Traditionally, this dip is made with cream cheese and ranch dressing but since we’re subbing those ingredients with Hood Cottage Cheese and greek yogurt, it becomes a little healthier!
Here’s how you make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350F and mix the shredded chicken, greek yogurt, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, and hot sauce, and mix until fully combined. Carefully fold in the cottage cheese and top with more shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and that’s it!
I garnished mine with fresh chopped chives, but that’s totally optional! You can also use parsley, green onions, or extra cheese.
Try Making Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
One of my favorite ways to eat this healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is with fresh vegetables.
If you’re a part of my Instagram fam, you saw me post some buffalo chicken dip stuffed peppers over the weekend. It just seemed like a healthier and more acceptable (aka adult) way of eating Buffalo Chicken Dip for lunch.
I didn’t realize how many people would be interested in that recipe, and eventually I’ll have a separate blog post for that, but for now I’ll just tell you how I did it here!
- Preheat the air fryer to 390F. Cut the tops off the peppers and clean out the seeds from the inside.
- Place the peppers in the air fryer and cook for 5-6 minutes until they just begin to soften. Then fill them with the dip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
I was able to make 4 stuffed peppers out of the dip I had. If you want to make them in the oven instead, you can preheat it to 400F and cook the peppers for 8-12 minutes, stuff them with dip and place them back in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
Questions You Might Have
Dips can be loaded with high calorie ingredients, sugar, salt, and other additives. Here’s a few that air on the healthier side:
1. Creamy Homemade Hummus
2. Avocado Mango Salsa
3. Roasted Beet Hummus
4. Healthy Buffalo Cauliflower Dip
There are only 138 calories in this dip per serving. Not only will your guests be asking for more, but they’ll be excited to hear it has less calories than the original version!
More Dip Recipes To Try
- Beer Cheese Dip
- Key Lime Pie Cannoli Dip
- Mexican Street Corn Dip
- Olive Oil Bread Dip
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip Wonton Cups
More Chicken Recipes You Might Like
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Chicken
- Mexican Street Corn White Chicken Chili
- Old Bay Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
WANT TO TRY THIS SKINNY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP RECIPE?
PIN IT to your chicken recipes, appetizer recipes, or game day recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken*
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, more for topping
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 cup Hood Cottage Cheese With Black Pepper
Optional toppings and dippers
- chives, for garnish
- pretzel chips
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In an 8X8 baking dish, add the chicken, greek yogurt, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, and hot sauce, and mix until fully combined. Then carefully fold in the cottage cheese and top with more shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the dip is heated through.
- Serve with chips and veggies of your choice.
- A rotisserie chicken or two 6oz cans of canned chicken breast are great for this recipe, but you can also make shredded chicken in the slow cooker if you prefer.